What's new
What's new

Old cone head monarch.

Shypoat

Plastic
Good evening fellas.
I just scored a beautiful old monarch lathe. 12” swing, 5’ bed. The casting has E 90 cast into it. The bed has E lot No 157 machine 2 on one rail and 14.8 on the other. I’m having a bit of trouble finding information on the old girl. I figure she was made around WW1 and things were a bit different then. If anyone has any information or knowledge about such things I’d be in your debt if you’d share it with me.
091047B7-7632-4E7F-868A-C69DD721471C.jpg

These old lathes do not have much info or even manuals. The Model E was introduced in the late teens and built to the late 20's. Monarch rolled their lot numbers over so it is very hard to date. From the picture your lathe looks pretty clean.

John

It's in surprisingly good shape. Both powerfeeds work. I was totally shocked by that. I’m actually trying to sell this one now so I can slip a Sheldon 15 in its place without my wife noticing.. wish me luck.

vince

These old lathes do not have much info or even manuals. The Model E was introduced in the late teens and built to the late 20's. Monarch rolled their lot numbers over so it is very hard to date. From the picture your lathe looks pretty clean.

John
look at this oneIMG_1074.jpgIMG_1074.jpg

SPEEDS

Link in post #4 above - PDF page 6 - counter shaft speeds 250 for 10 and 12", 200 for 14 and 16" and 190 for 18"

This means spindle and its cone turned a bit slower and a bit faster in open belt (not back gears) than these counter shaft speeds

Back