Old Monarch questions with photos
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Old Monarch questions with photos

I was given an old Monarch lathe with an 8 foot bed. I would to identify it and find someone with a manual for it. It has a patent date of January 23, 1906.
    I will try to post photos.
    Thanks, Richard

Where would I find the serial number on this lathe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails monarch-lathe-002.jpg   monarch-lathe-2-003.jpg   monarch-lathe-003.jpg  
    Last edited by Richard H. Gambr; 05-31-2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Another question

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like a Model A. I have a couple docs here

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/index.html

towards the middle of the page.

Regards,

Greg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard H. Gambr View Post
    I was given an old Monarch lathe with an 8 foot bed. I would to identify it and find someone with a manual for it. It has a patent date of January 23, 1906.
    I will try to post photos.
    Thanks, Richard

Where would I find the serial number on this lathe.
    What is the swing of the lathe? 12 is a Model E 14-16" is a Model A; 18-20" is a Model B and 22" and bigger is a Model D.

The patent is for the quick change gear box which Monarch Licensed from Flathers in 1912. This means your lathe was built sometime after that. Most likely your lathe was built during WWI where Monarch built several thousand lathes from 1915 through 1919.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do all Monarch Lathes have the date of manufacture on the brass thread and feed tag? My model A has no date on the tag, It looks like the one shown only mine is 6 foot overall length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info. It is apparently a Model A with a 16 inch swing. I use it quite a bit in my farm shop and more recently, in making a line boring rig for Model T Ford main bearings. I am sure I will have many more questions as I want to learn to cut threads with it. I need to make a new piston rod for my steam engine soon.
    Gonna start combining wheat today, so my other projects have to wait a while.
    Richard

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is no way of dating early Monarchs before they started to use serial numbers in 1927. Before this all lathes were built in lots and the lots numbers got rolled over which makes it difficult at times to find. Monarch Lathes use to have all these old records, and sometimes were able to find these lot numbers and date the lathe.

Monarch made most of their cone head lathes during WW1, and a lot of these where shipped overseas. Monarch suffered a sever slow down right after the war, and before the war they were working hard to establish themselves so their pre-war numbers are limited. In 1917 and again in 1918 Monarch built over 3,000 lathes of all sizes.

One big identifier is when Monarch came out with the cone clutch apron in 1923, with all lathes after this had this having this feature. Next was the switch to the helical geared lathe in 1926 which nearly wiped out the production of cone head lathes there after.

Do a search on monarch history and you will find more detial on this that I have posted in the past.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, My lathe has only one star shaped dial on the apron, the other is a round knob is this the cone clutch you are talking about. I was told it was a 1924 or 1925 model year, as stated before no pat. date on tag.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

no the cone clutchs are lever operated and there will be two of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default WW-I Monarch

Perhaps of interest, I also have a Monarch very similar to the one in photos above, 12" swing X 8' bed. I've had it for about 10 years and I've tried to use it but the spindle keep lifting during medium to moderate cuts. Everything is so large and heavy and I'm so old and feeble it is difficult to disassemble things and figure out what's wrong. I'd love to get the old dear back on her feet if I knew where I should start and what to do.

I also need to replace the carriage rack gear because it seems someone left the feed engaged and then took lunch break and forgot about it. I'm told it's a 14½ PA rack available from Boston Gear.

I don't mind spending some money on it if I had something to go by to fix it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The spindle "lifting" or moving around in any manner means the spindle bearings are worn excessively. Are you up for repairing them? Until the spindle bearing system is good ignore the carriage rack gear, it is of no use.