What's new
What's new

Which are the Original Holes in the Saddle?

DaveE907

Titanium
The photo shows the rear of the carriage I'm working on. It has had tapped holes added to it over the years for who knows what. I believe but am not certain the four 5/16-18 UNC holes numbered 1 through 4 are the only holes put there by Monarch. I don't have a TA but would like to preserve the proper attachment holes for one. Can anyone confirm which holes are original?

Attachments

• Monarch 10 EE 5-08-B 030 (Small).jpg
    Monarch 10 EE 5-08-B 030 (Small).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 120
I'll go out on a limb here but I will say that holes #1,2,3,4 are the T/A attachment holes. The other ones, "not a clue", maybe a DRO, or coolant pipe, holder?

I think the 1-4 holes are the screw holes for the T/A. When you align it you'd drill for alignment pins to retain alignment when you remove and put it back on.

If there had been a T/A, there would be tapered bores directly above #1 and #4, and on the same level as #2 and #3 for the tapered pins which locate the T/A after assembly and final adjustment.

But, the tapered bores are not there, so this machine had no T/A fitted at the factory.

The four to the left are most likely for the coolant system delivery pipe.

Thank you all!

For now I'll make the holes other than 1 through 4 disappear. This machine wasn't fitted with coolant from Monarch. If new holes are needed in the future I'll add them in a manner that doesn't suggest a tipsy guy with a drill motor and no measuring devices.

Monarch installed a pair of 3/4 Unified National Coarse holes in the base, right at the center of gravity of the machine.

Perhaps for lifting purposes, during machine erection (final assembly).

Those holes were filled with Bondo and then painted over.

You could do the same ... install short set screws somewhat below the surface, then fill with Bondo and sand smooth.

Thank you for the suggestion Peter. That's a good way to hide the holes.

Some of these holes are tapped for Heli-Coils (removed before the photo) so no standard set screw would fit.

The unwanted holes will be bored and plugged with zero clearance (no distortion imparted into saddle) cast iron slugs using high strength anaerobic goop. If someone wants to drill new holes in the future they won't have any problems and will never know what went before them.

Back