What's new
What's new

OT Sidney, Oh

bll230

Hot Rolled
My wife recently started collecting and refurbing (and cooking in) old American cast iron pans. Seems like Sidney was a successful industrial city in olden times.

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1312.jpg
    IMG_1312.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 52
I lived in Sidney for 10 years, and for city of about 20K (in the 1990's) it had a large industrial base and long industrial history. It was home to 2 successful lathe manufacture's, Sidney Machine Tool, and The Monarch Machine Tool Company (The two companies never combined as some think), and the short lived Whipp Machine Tool Company. They ad Wagner Ware makers of the cast iron and cast aluminum skillets. Stolle, Copeland, Ross foundry, Baumfolder, maker of folding equipment, and many many other companies. In the Late 1800's the leading business men formed a progressive club that worked to bring new industry to the city.

The Monarch Machine Tool Company bought the Eudline (sp) Drill company and turned in into the Monarch Cortland, home of Monarch's VMC production. In 1968 Monarch bought Stamco in New Berman, Ohio and in 1973 bought Dean Smith and Grace in England. Monarch acquired the engineering assets of Lodge and Shipley company in 1993.

Sidney, Ohio was Monarch's headquarters and main production plant that build manual, NC and CNC lathes and VTL starting in 1978. Monarch also briefly built a surface grinder in the 1930's at Sidney and in the 1970s and early 1980s they build an HMC. When Monarch's management decided to dived the company by division, they named the division by the city they were in as in Monarch Sidney and Monarch Cortland. The other two kept the old company name as in Monarch Stampco and Monarch DS&G.

John L.

Our company, which at that time went by The Randall Co., owned the Wagner Ware line for a short time during the 1950's. The company was founded in 1858 as a manufacturer of leatherworking machinery. Starting in the 1930's they began to diversify into other fields like office supplies, aluminum roofing, and the had a large division manufacturing automotive stainless trim. I'm not sure when exactly they bought Wagner but I estimate it was between the late 40's and early 50's. Randall's main operations were in Cincinnatti and to my knowledge Wagner stayed in Sidney during their ownership. Between 1958 and 1959, Randall's corporate owners decided to split and sell off the different lines. The automotive line became Randall Textron, which I think is still operating but has been bought, sold, and rebranded a few times. Wagner ware went to someone else, and the original Leather machinery company, which was much much smaller than all the other divisions, went to a family in New York (the owners before my family got involved in 2006).

From what I understand, Wagner Ware was bought and old several times. The last I heard is the factory in Sidney is now closed. Rights to Wagner Ware and Randall ware is now owned by American Culinary Corporation of Willoughby, Ohio.

From the very valuable history of Monarch by John Legge here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/monarch/monarch-History.pdf
we see that Allen P. Wagner figured in the early history of the formation of the company and later W.H. Wagner was vice president. I expect A.P. and W.H. were related. John, anyone, know if they are of the same Wagner family as had Wagner Ware? Sidney not being that big a city I'd think so but don't know for sure.

I think Lodge is the only large maker of cast iron cook ware still producing in the US though I expect there are smaller scale "artisanal" makers active.

David

From the very valuable history of Monarch by John Legge here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/monarch/monarch-History.pdf
we see that Allen P. Wagner figured in the early history of the formation of the company and later W.H. Wagner was vice president. I expect A.P. and W.H. were related. John, anyone, know if they are of the same Wagner family as had Wagner Ware? Sidney not being that big a city I'd think so but don't know for sure.

I think Lodge is the only large maker of cast iron cook ware still producing in the US though I expect there are smaller scale "artisanal" makers active.

David

From my understanding, all the Wagners were siblings.

Sidney Ohio before WW1 was divided between German Catholics and Scottish/English Protestants. Each had their own newspapers, banks and shared business interests. This all changed during WW1 when anything German was mostly erased. The dived then became unspoken but remained for decades after the war. The Wagners were one of the most prominent German Catholic families along with I.H. Thedieck (one of Monarch's founders).

John L.

Back