What's new
What's new

Packing arrangement around gear shift shafts - 16 CY

*D'B=6bk

Aluminum
In an effort to stem the copious amount of oil leaking from my 16 CY, I dug out the old packing around the shift levers to replace it and found the arrangement sketched below.

The label "brass washer?" depicts a brass-looking surface that I can only see through the annular space and I have not yet removed (and will be difficult/impossible to remove without destroying or taking apart the headstock). I think this may be a packing washer but it could be a bushing.

I wonder if the actual packing for "Shaft A" lies behind that washer/bushing (where the "?" is) and that the packing I could get to, denoted in pink, was put there by someone over the years.

My reasoning is that the ID of "Shaft B" is threaded and there are holes for the taper pins where the existing packing was located. It seems unlikely that Monarch would design threads and pin-holes through parts that are to be sealed via packing.

I would appreciate input from anyone that has repacked or disassembled these shafts. I will also be inquiring with Monarch.

Gear Shift Packing.jpg

Backup image:
https://i.imgur.com/kaQzbWT.png

Maybe some PO's mod.

Its been many years since I made the pair of pin type face spanners to get the packing nuts out with, but I noticed nothing that would suggest to me that the packing was somewhere else other than right under the packing nut

CW 16 from Summer 1946 - one owner before me

It must be time again - it leaks!

Packing.jpg

No brass washer in mine. Not sure what the purpose of a washer. I also didn't use cord which is what Monarch would sell. I used square Teflon impregnated pump packing material, Two layers. It has worked well and no leaks.

Seconds on what Will said. I used several layers of the square Teflon impregnated material I bought from McMaster.com on my Model 61. I installed it like piston rings with the gaps tight and moved around so that they did not line up. It takes more torque to make it stop leaking than you might think. I retorqued every day for about three days. Oiling everything first might have helped. You will probably find that there is more room for more packing after several days of torquing.

Same here on a 12CK

Garlock packing that I happened to have around the old mica / graphite messy stuff. Skived and put in like piston rings too. Two layers, gaps 180 degrees apart, copious application of EP-1

Yes way more torque than I would have ever guessed but zero sign of seepage from around the shifters

View attachment 280305

No brass washer in mine. Not sure what the purpose of a washer. I also didn't use cord which is what Monarch would sell. I used square Teflon impregnated pump packing material, Two layers. It has worked well and no leaks.

Thanks, your picture helps a lot.

In a stroke of good luck, I came across a salesman's sample case of square pump packing material at an estate sale and used that in 2 layers. I still need to make me a tool like yours to torque down the nut enough to stop the last of the leak.

Thanks, your picture helps a lot.

In a stroke of good luck, I came across a salesman's sample case of square pump packing material at an estate sale and used that in 2 layers. I still need to make me a tool like yours to torque down the nut enough to stop the last of the leak.

Lucky! The material is not inexpensive. I did the same, two layers with tapered cut ends, offsetting the joints. I tightened mine lightly at first but then had to go back to stop some seepage.

I bought a cheap socket, some simple grinding and wah-la. I think it was a 7/8". I'll have to check.

Back