Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This series field is what Thermite advocates leaving out in post #68 on this thread. I’m just wondering if anyone has tried to include it per factory original.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rabler View Post
    This series field is what Thermite advocates leaving out in post #68 on this thread. I’m just wondering if anyone has tried to include it per factory original.
    PM has a Medium-length thread on that several YEARS ago as explored "the ways" including use of a packaged FWB rectifer to insure its polarity was the right way when run in reverse.

There's two main tribes - compounded shunt and compensated shunt but variations within each as to how implemented.

Long story short? As a 6 HP "4Q" drive the SSDs have sensors and reserve to deliver fast and stable response to loads as don't need the help and don't need to fight it, either.

Compare the SSD regulation figures., over which relative RPM range, between internal IR sensing and use with a tachogenerator for feedback.

Note that the tacho signal, when used, goes into the same Op Amp .The rest of the drive has the merit to hold the better figure already. Tacho just enables it to "see better".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rabler View Post
    the series field S1 and S2 are in series with the motor armature.
    i've run the motor with and without the series field and honestly don't find a big difference in performance. (not sure why, maybe the motor gurus can explain) i believe i have currently connected but would have to check to be sure. it will work either way you wire it up.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by everettengr View Post
    the series field S1 and S2 are in series with the motor armature.
    i've run the motor with and without the series field and honestly don't find a big difference in performance. (not sure why, maybe the motor gurus can explain) i believe i have currently connected but would have to check to be sure. it will work either way you wire it up.
    It is HIGHLY current-flow dependent for strength, so exhibits a very "load related" touch. Near-zero effect at light loading,even if wired bass-ackwards to favour reverse.

The nuisance is directionality.

If reverse is used a lot for cutting - such as threading AWAY from shoulders - leaving it simply "hard-wired" causes higher loads to REDUCE power and DROP RPM instead of trying to hold it up.

If reverse is use primarily for unloaded rapiding, then BFD. Just hardwire it to favour forward running.

I did say "nuisance"? MG-era "large frame" 3 HP motor is "straight shunt", doesn't have that winding. The piggyback exciter does have. But it is never reversed. So that JF works!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the small frame Reliance 3 Hp motor, Everett has the 5 HP GE. I have the series winding hardwired forward. Hasn’t been an issue because 1, I don’t thread much, 2, when I thread I go very slowly because of lack of proficiency (see #1).

In normal turning the Parker/Reliance is very,very smooth and capable.