What's new
What's new

Parting out Series 60/61 16 by 54 lathe

mikethomas

Aluminum
I am parting out a series 60/61 16 by 54 lathe. This one has the extended height and will swing 24.5 inches. No taper attachment, and all the parts above the saddle were gone when I got it. I intend to strip it of all I can and take the rest to the scrap yard. Let me know what you need or want.

Mike Thomas
Shingle Springs, CA 95682

I'm only part way into going through mine, but I believe I have most or all of the pieces. I think I am looking at mostly maintenance, minor repairs, and cosmetic. But I might not totally know that answer for a little while yet.

If you wouldn't mind posting some pics of maybe all four sides, something might pop to mind. Condition of chrome and chrome handles including on tail stock ?

I am curious if you have the "Monarch" embalm on the front side of lathe, on large motor base door.

I know from the other thread that your cross slide pieces are missing. Is the crossfeed dial assembly missing as well ?

Pictures now would be of a mostly disassembled lathe. This one did not have that Monarch badge on the big front door. Yes everything that would have been on the saddle was gone. Tail stock is in rough shape but would make a good starting point for someone missing one on their lathe.

Do you have any of the machine tags/badges? I'm specifically looking for the curved "A B C" speed range tag, but a few of mine are a little worse for wear and I wouldn't mind replacing them if I could find reasonably priced ones.

How about the tailstock hand wheel? Is the tailstock a quick-clamp type? If so, I might be interested in the whole thing.

Do you have any of the machine tags/badges? I'm specifically looking for the curved "A B C" speed range tag, but a few of mine are a little worse for wear and I wouldn't mind replacing them if I could find reasonably priced ones.

I do still have the curved "C-D-E" tag. Some of the other tags have already been sold. All of these will need to be repainted. But that is very easy on these as they have a lot of relief and are quite thick. I think the tags that I have sold so far are: speed chart, A-B, and the FlameHardened ways tag.

Mike

The tailstock does not have the quick-clamp. It has the right angle hand wheel mechanism. The hand wheel is there but the spinner handle has been replaced.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Can you send me a picture of the hand wheel along with measurements?

I do still have the curved "C-D-E" tag. Some of the other tags have already been sold. All of these will need to be repainted. But that is very easy on these as they have a lot of relief and are quite thick. I think the tags that I have sold so far are: speed chart, A-B, and the FlameHardened ways tag.

Mike

I sent you a PM.

Just an FYI, Mike sent me some odds and ends that I wanted as spares for my lathe. Packaged with care, shipped right away, and super reasonable. Don't hesitate to buy from this gentleman.

Jared

Just an FYI, Mike sent me some odds and ends that I wanted as spares for my lathe. Packaged with care, shipped right away, and super reasonable. Don't hesitate to buy from this gentleman.

Jared

Thank you for the very nice complement. I have lots of parts still available. Especially stuff inside the headstock. Gears, etc., in really nice shape.

Mike

Yes. These are the three shift levers of that size that came off the lathe. I did not keep track of which came off which location. But other than a slight difference in the length of the ball handle they appear the same. Let me know which one you want. How about $25 plus shipping. should ship in a small flat rate box. If there is anything else you want let me know.

Mike

IMG_4573.jpgIMG_4574.jpg

Yes. These are the three shift levers of that size that came off the lathe. I did not keep track of which came off which location. But other than a slight difference in the length of the ball handle they appear the same. Let me know which one you want. How about $25 plus shipping. should ship in a small flat rate box. If there is anything else you want let me know.

Mike

View attachment 313337View attachment 313338

Being a firm believer in Murphy's Law, I better take all 3 :D. I'll just list what's left when I get done. I'll send you a pm.

For future viewers, if you need one, pm me.

Update: Frankly I have not sold a lot from this lathe. What I have sold has mostly been handles and badges and the guts to the tail stock. I still have some of that stuff left as shown here:

IMG_4658.jpg
IMG_4659.jpg
IMG_4660.jpg
IMG_4661.jpg

I have most of the internals still also. Let me know if there is a part you need.

Mike

Mike,
Are you still parting out? I may be looking for a tumbler, a part from the inside of the feeds/threading gear box (QCGB). I'm going to try to contact Monarch next week and see if they'll tell me what parts are compatible with my 612, but from looking at some pictures texasgunsmith provided, they're very similar.

Back