What's new
What's new

Parts Needed for Taper Attachment

SN3308

Plastic
I am looking for a) the bed clamp, and b) micrometer-adjuster for 10EE taper attachment.

Gerry

I am looking for a) the bed clamp, and b) micrometer-adjuster for 10EE taper attachment.

Gerry

Lots of us are looking for the micrometer. I keep hoping someone will reproduce the casting and enable a do-it-yourself solution. Often when they come up for sale they are almost as much as a complete taper attachment.

If you do a search in the forum you can find a post where someone had cast some bed brackets and was selling them. Miller machine used to make them, maybe you could talk them into making another run.

When I got my lathe, the micrometer knob was there, but the shaft with the worm on it was gone, gear seized. Got them from Boston gear. Same place Monarch bought them. It was necessary to adapt the shaft to the knob.

When I got my lathe, the micrometer knob was there, but the shaft with the worm on it was gone, gear seized. Got them from Boston gear. Same place Monarch bought them. It was necessary to adapt the shaft to the knob.

Cal directed me to harrys wreck rebuild when I had a question about finding the worm for my taper micrometer
Harry gives the gear specs.
No Boston gear part numbers.
Starts at post #214.

"Wreck" Update

Last edited:
Taper Bed Clamp Castings

any luck with that?
I did talk to Miller, he does not have the capability of making any more clamps but he has recently lent a factory casting to someone who is going to reproduce it. He has forwarded my name to that person and if I hear anything back I will post on the list and at that time an order could be aggregated if anyone else wants one.

Regarding the Micrometer dial, I have the capability of machining the case for the micrometer; I don't know about the rest of the innards but if someone has the prints on it or can produce a set of as-built prints maybe it would be worth home-brewing the necessary parts.

Gerry

I did talk to Miller, he does not have the capability of making any more clamps but he has recently lent a factory casting to someone who is going to reproduce it. He has forwarded my name to that person and if I hear anything back I will post on the list and at that time an order could be aggregated if anyone else wants one.

Regarding the Micrometer dial, I have the capability of machining the case for the micrometer; I don't know about the rest of the innards but if someone has the prints on it or can produce a set of as-built prints maybe it would be worth home-brewing the necessary parts.

Gerry

I'm totally capable of designing and creating a print set for the adjustment mechanism. Unfortunately I don't have much to reverse engineer from other my TA that is missing those pieces.

The other thought I've read however is that the micrometer adjustment mechanism is not that useful in the end. Some say might as well just bump the adjustment around, measure the result and adjust (re-bump)as needed.

Just a word of caution: Every time the topic of new TA bed clamps comes up, there's a tendency to what to make them heavier than the original, so they won't break. I think that's a very bad idea. Monarch designed the clamp to be the "safety valve", in case the operator over travels the TA. If you make the clamp "bulletproof", you're setting yourself up to blow the bottom out of your TA if there's a crash. The factory clamps are plenty strong enough to do what they need to do in normal operation. My concern about vettebob's clamp is that it's of the "bulletproof" variety.

Cal

oh and mark me down for a round dial clamp. RD and SD are different if yalls weren't aware.

I've never seen a difference, so please explain... The only difference I am aware of is between 1939/40 bed clamps and all later clamps. The offset of the clamp rod is different.

20201221_174109.jpg20201221_151855.jpg20201221_152015.jpg20201221_151935.jpg

Gerry
I can give you tooth count diameter and pitch on the gears. I am missing the worm but the worm gear is there. I will assist you with any information you need.

I also have the dial and shaft
The gears are suppose to be available at boston gear. I need to look up those part numbers anyway
As you can see in the photo of the dial it is scribed in sixty -one degree increments.

Attachments

• 20201012_142649.jpg
    20201012_142649.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 43
20201224_083019.jpg20201224_083051.jpgIf someone could assist with their cad program to make a print or program for the whole micrometer dial mechanism. It could be shared here on the forum for anyone that is capable of machining one.
I have seen others ask if the specs are available.
I will assist using my parts to work from.

I could get the drafting board and t square out I guess

I've never seen a difference, so please explain... The only difference I am aware of is between 1939/40 bed clamps and all later clamps. The offset of the clamp rod is different.

I found this drawing someplace.....I have not verified the accuracy regarding the RD measurement.

bed_clamp drawing.jpg

I don't know where that came from, but I would be suspect. Monarch almost invariably designed all parts in fractional inches. 3.6 and 3.87 don't fit their way of design. I have two bed clamps, one is original to the 1940 and the other one was an internet purchase of unknown origin. Both have a 3.5" offset from the shoulder to the center of the clamp rod. The 1940 has a different height difference, from top of bed to center of rod is about ¾", while the other one the offset is 1 ¼".

Dave

View attachment 308450View attachment 308451If someone could assist with their cad program to make a print or program for the whole micrometer dial mechanism. It could be shared here on the forum for anyone that is capable of machining one.
I have seen others ask if the specs are available.
I will assist using my parts to work from.

I could get the drafting board and t square out I guess

In photo #2 I have the bronze worm gear stuck on there upside down. The flat side you are looking at goes down
I am going to make a mechanical drawing of the casting with all the measurement.
I already have part numbers for the worm gear. Still looking for the other two gears part numbers.

Here is the worm gear.
That first photo in the link must be a generic file photo.
Photo # 4 the drawing is completely correct For my worm gear.
Two screws need to be drilled and tapped and a pin drilled in the hub.

Ill get the shaft sizes and the other gear sizes after Christmas.
Part # g1027 is stamped on my gear.
https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Gear-G1027-Plain-Pressure/dp/B004N84ZV0

I believe this is the proper worm for the above gear. Would someone verify. I dont see that it will keep the 30 to one ratio.
I will make the bore work My gear is missing The length and .438 PD will fit in the casting / housing
https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Gear-LTHB1-Degree-Pressure/dp/B004N6355Y

Monarch 10 ee Mictometer Taper attachment worm gear

untitled.jpg

Merry Christmas
Mike

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I don't know where that came from, but I would be suspect. Monarch almost invariably designed all parts in fractional inches. 3.6 and 3.87 don't fit their way of design. I have two bed clamps, one is original to the 1940 and the other one was an internet purchase of unknown origin. Both have a 3.5" offset from the shoulder to the center of the clamp rod. The 1940 has a different height difference, from top of bed to center of rod is about ¾", while the other one the offset is 1 ¼".

Dave

Like I said (I think), the drawing came from here (PM) and as I qualified I haven't verified it as of yet. It could be worthless. I do know I have a bed clamp from unknown origin that roughly matches the SD dimensions in that drawing. I have a RD and haven't got to the point to measure the dimensions required there. So I'll report back when I learn more.

Rak

To finish with the innards /gear information.

20201226_094319.jpg20201226_094852.jpg20201226_095105.jpgThe idler gear shaft is 1/4. The drive gear shaft is 5/8 turned down to 3/16 . The drive gear and shaft are all one piece . That could be re-engineered.

Both gears are 35 teeth with a 1.09 circular pitch and a 1.18 addendum circle. I believe a 14.5 pressure angle.
I'm having trouble finding a catalog to locate these two gears. If you can find the part numbers please post them.
That concludes the information on the gears.

Unless you ask for information.

Ill have a drawing of the casting with hole locations in a few days.

Links to the worm gear and the worm.
https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Gear-G1027-Plain-Pressure/dp/B004N84ZV0?tag=practforum-20

https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Gear-LTHB1-Degree-Pressure/dp/B004N6355Y?tag=practforum-20

Back