Picked up a nice 10EE in Los Angeles & will need some parts for the modular drive. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldCar View Post
    Here's what the electrical panel looks like inside. I spent some time visually inspecting, and then started testing & marking wires. Didn't get far before I noticed L1 & L3 have zero resistance between them?????

It's that way before and after the missing motor starter and down at the giant transformer. Hopefully the motor isn't shorted??? I'm no electrician, but surely this cannot be right.

[IMG]BB6E23F3-587E-472F-98BD-6EA5E9A08DC8 by crh2765, on Flickr[/IMG]

Also, any idea if/why these wires in the below picture should be cut like this? Or what they went to?

[IMG]2B632EEB-5325-4B46-929A-8EA214610FE3 by crh2765, on Flickr[/IMG]

Better picture of the wires:

[IMG]FD54E610-D25B-4597-9D2F-4793F6014FAC by crh2765, on Flickr[/IMG]
    That.. area is cleaner that I could have been sure of getting it..."back in the day".. when we used large amounts of raw FREON to clean electrical goods, oblivious, at the time, to what it was doing to Ozone layers, etc. See also Trichlor, another one used by the 55 gal drum per every month, maybe two.

Even if.. you have cleaned it, "just now'? ... whomever went before appears to have kept it in good order. Very!

Or... just recently REBUILT it?

I think you've got a "winner" here on fairly easy restoral of the electricals and ability to trust they will provide long and low-hassle service to you.

2. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Motors and Transformers have a very low resistance even though they are not shorted also the spindle motor is DC and not connected to the AC line.
    Even the power supply lines coming into the main disconnect read no resistance (well the continuity tester beeps anyway) between L1 & L2... isn’t that bad?
    I apologize in advance for my lack of electrical knowledge.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldCar View Post
    I apologize in advance for my lack of electrical knowledge.
    You ain't stoopid. You can FIX that in about one WEEK.

Courses I used to recommend, half a century ago, were put together around War Two by - and FOR - folks who needed it, needed it YESTERDAY, needed it as good as could possibly be.

An organization as had just been VERY hard-done-by and had no other option but to train-up FAST, train-up WELL, apply that training so as to come back hard, fast, and deadly effective at the best and highest levels of expertise they could generate in the least amount of time.

As they damned-well DID do.... the US Navy

Navy training materials 1940's to present-day, basic AC & DC circuits on up - are about as good as such things have ever gotten.

Most of it as is "basic and general" NOT classified nor specific to weapons systems - can be downloaded or bought very cheaply in "dead tree" form from the US Government Printing Office.

Because.... you/I/we taxpayers.. have ALREADY paid to have it created.

My advice to you is the same as I would give a hungry Oorang Airedale:

"Grab it and growl!"

Mind... Laddie was a lightnin'-fast stone-killer when it came to puttin' down verminous critters 'round the farm.

Never did get much good at changing a burnt-out light-bulb, though.

Not his fault. We simply had no electricity, just yet, his tour of duty. Gas lights, gas refrigerators, stoves, and heating, rather.

Gas wells, we DID have. Laddie paid 'em no mind. Smart enough to delegate. Employed "humans" to deal with all that gnarly s**t on his behalf... so he could pay more attention to eatin', sleepin', shaggin', and now and again' killin' stuff as needed killin'

You'd have to know Airedales?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    You ain't stoopid. You can FIX that in about one WEEK.

Courses I used to recommend, half a century ago, were put together around War Two by - and FOR - folks who needed it, needed it YESTERDAY, needed it as good as could possibly be.

An organization as had just been VERY hard-done-by and had no other option but to train-up FAST, train-up WELL, apply that training so as to come back hard, fast, and deadly effective at the best and highest levels of expertise they could generate in the least amount of time.

As they damned-well DID do.... the US Navy

Navy training materials 1940's to present-day, basic AC & DC circuits on up - are about as good as such things have ever gotten.

Most of it as is "basic and general" NOT classified nor specific to weapons systems - can be downloaded or bought very cheaply in "dead tree" form from the US Government Printing Office.

Because.... you/I/we taxpayers.. have ALREADY paid to have it created.

My advice to you is the same as I would give a hungry Oorang Airedale:

"Grab it and growl!"

Mind... Laddie was a lightnin'-fast stone-killer when it came to puttin' down verminous critters 'round the farm.

Never did get much good at changing a burnt-out light-bulb, though.

Not his fault. We simply had no electricity, just yet, his tour of duty. Gas lights, gas refrigerators, stoves, and heating, rather.

Gas wells, we DID have. Laddie paid 'em no mind. Smart enough to delegate. Employed "humans" to deal with all that gnarly s**t on his behalf... so he could pay more attention to eatin', sleepin', shaggin', and now and again' killin' stuff as needed killin'

You'd have to know Airedales?

I won't give up, but might ask some VERY dumb questions.

An older post talking about the A-53-C transformer that sits below the middle (smaller) C3J tube helped me realize and find that it was what was missing. One is now on its way.

Still, I'm quite worried about L1 and L3 showing no resistance at the main switch, at the fuses, and basically everywhere else???? That can't be right...right!?!?!?!