What's new
What's new

Transmission Problems

FRINK

Plastic
I am rebuilding a 10 EE (vintage 1952) and have had to replace several bearings in the transmission. Moisture falling from the chuck area, evidently went through the non-existant seals around the leadscrews and ate up the bearings around their respective shafts.

My main question is, when replacing the thrust bearings, should they be packed with grease, or only oiled ?

Monarch, incidentally, wanted $180.00 per seal around these shafts. I fabricated replacements for $12.00 total.

Really like this bulletin board, and am glad to become a new member.

I am doing a '59 gearbox right now and have the same question. The front bearing covers
have a little drain oil underneath each shaft hole. Is it to let excess oil lubricant or coolant splash out or both? I am going to foolishly assume that since these are expensive class 7 bearings, that they are oiled not greased, but what do I know. I wonder if we can retrofit a modern flexible lip seal in there instead of the steel? one. I don't have the parts in front of me to see if this is stupid idea. Daryl

Daryl,

I think that those holes might be for greasing the bearings, possibly with a grease needle??
I used two standard lip seals, and machined a holder for them. If interested, I can E-mail you my solution.

Yes, please do. I think that would be a better way to go. Although I do think those holes are drain holes however. The headstock
is exactly the same, and I know you don't grease it. I believe that those bearings are
lubed by oil splash/mist from the gearbox, and not greased. Maybe Scott from Monarch will set us straight. Thanks Daryl

Frink, after a careful examination of the
front gearbox cover, Monarch has a very extensive lubrication system for those front bearings. There are oil traps to catch slung
oil from the gearbox gears and a distribution
line thru the back cover to lube a shaft on the other side. So those bearings should not be greased. Probably would wreck'em if you did. Daryl

Back