What's new
What's new

Please Help Identify Lathe

slugmar

Plastic
Hello all

I'm new to lathes and machinest work. In my family shop is this monarch lathe that my grandfather and father has used and I'm going to start learning on.

My father knows a little about it but hes out enjoying retirement so I would like to find out about the year it was made and see if I can find a manual for it.

Thank you all for the help there is so much information out there and I'm lost when looking it up

IMG_0414.jpgIMG_0406.jpgIMG_0408.jpgIMG_0409.jpgIMG_0422.jpg

The last photo give you the type of lathe. It is a model A which has a swing of 14 or 16" over the bed. I am not sure what the "6" stamp means, but could indicate it is a 16" swing. The lot number is 761 and it is the second lathe in the lot. Model A was produced from 1909 to the late 20's. Most were built during WWI. In 1917 and 1918 roughly 3000 lathes where built each year with about 75% model A's. The gearbox shown was adopted about 1913-14, so that is the earliest your lathe could be. About all lathes built after 1924 would have the cam clutches in the apron instead of the start clutch. Monarch rolled over their lot numbers, so it is very hard to find an age using it, but chances are in would have been built between 1915 to 1918.

Back