What's new
What's new

Powering up Monarch 10EE

Wpala

Plastic
Hi there
so the progress on the rebuild is coming along slowly started painting some parts main unit still needs to be prep for painting, visited Yahoo group for Monarch and came across this method of powering up the lathe it basically gets rid of the motor and generator by my understanding and electronically controlling a DC motor I was just wondering if anyone has done this from this forum or has any opinion this thing is about 1300$ so don't want to waste my$ if this is not as good as it should be I have been e-mailing with the guy that sell this drive he is very helpful and all that but just want opinion of someone who has done this or similar it seams like a perfect solution since I can use single phase less things to break since the motor and generator are not used and promise of full HP is always welcome also since less moving parts most likely less noise, so what is a draw back why everyone else not doing that??
Any help, comments and suggestion is welcome
here is a link to his web site with the drive in question
BICL - Single Phase Drives: Variator Series: C210

Paul

There is a wealth of information on this site. Do a search for Monarch EE and prepared for a very interesting trip. All things will and have been answered about these marvelous machines. Once you have digested the required info, I think that you will have more informed questions.

Lee (the saw guy)

Unless Beel has recently repackaged its drive system to better apply to early machines, the drive system is packaged for the later Modular machines, not the earlier WiaD or M-G machines.

However, it is my understanding that this drive system, which is all electronic, can power either a 3 HP or a 5 HP spindle motor, and retains all the positive benefits of the dc drive system, provided the replacement drive system is powered by an elevated line voltage, about 270-300 volts.

It is my personal preference to retain the original drive system, wherever practical, and there are many posts which deal with these specifics on this Forum.

But, we have not forgotten those who desire to rid themselves of the original drive system and to go with a VFD approach.

This is a particularly "broad church" (in the abstract). We encourage any reasonable method of attaining and maintaining full function of these impressive turning tools.

Hi there
so the progress on the rebuild is coming along slowly started painting some parts main unit still needs to be prep for painting, visited Yahoo group for Monarch and came across this method of powering up the lathe it basically gets rid of the motor and generator by my understanding and electronically controlling a DC motor I was just wondering if anyone has done this from this forum or has any opinion this thing is about 1300$ so don't want to waste my$ if this is not as good as it should be I have been e-mailing with the guy that sell this drive he is very helpful and all that but just want opinion of someone who has done this or similar it seams like a perfect solution since I can use single phase less things to break since the motor and generator are not used and promise of full HP is always welcome also since less moving parts most likely less noise, so what is a draw back why everyone else not doing that??
Any help, comments and suggestion is welcome
here is a link to his web site with the drive in question
BICL - Single Phase Drives: Variator Series: C210

Paul
The BICL drive has been around for a while but we have yet to have a member here report back on it, which I find very odd. There was a guy a while back that had one on order. He dropped off the radar after posting that he had received it.

What's wrong with your existing drive?

IMHO, it's a mistake to replace a working drive. You will not exceed the performance or reliability of the original Monarch drives. Don't let the primitive appearance of a motor/generator drive fool you. They are very capable and robust.

Cal

Back