What's new
What's new

Preferred 10EE Toolpost Toolholder and Tooling Vendor?

Peter Miles

Cast Iron
I have found several threads addressing the appropriate size quick change tool post holder to use on a Monarch 10EE. The general consensus seemed to be BXA, although some like and use the smaller AXA and a few the larger CXA (and/or possibly CA?) series. There were also some proponents of the KDK #100 and/or KDK #150 series.

I believe that I will go with the BXA size for my 1949 MG 10EE.

The purpose of this thread is to enquire about preferred manufacturers for the holders and tooling. The brands that I've primarily seen are Aloris and Dorian. They seem to use the same size range descriptions and I've seen claims that their tooling is brand-interchangeable within a single size range. I do not know if the KDK is compatible with any other vendor in any size range.

What preferences and opinions exist in the group for the various manufacturers (including imports) with regards to quality, longevity, ease-of-use, interchangeability among vendors, price, and availability?

I can't answer the import question but all the American made Aloris, Dorian and, KDK are high quality. Aloris and Dorian are both interchangeable within each size AX, BX ect. KDK is a stand alone, I have seen import tool blocks for KDK posts on eby. I think the Aloris/Dorian sets offer a greater degree of flexibility and more holder options than KDK. I have a KDK 100 tool post and it is on the small side for a 10EE.

Steve

I use the AXA size mainly due to it was what I already had, and I like its compact size for tight areas I end up in.
I have both an Aloris and Dorian. The Dorian seems to stay locked up better for interupted cutting like salvaging a shaft with a key way. But I seem to like the Aloris a little better, I dont know why.
Dorian makes a combination threading holder I really like, I found both work with import holders I have picked up in years past.
Heres the Aloris with the Dorian threading tool.
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u265/donsmonarch10ee/?action=view&current=transmission004.jpg

I use a KDK #100.

Pros:
Low profile: No handle sticking up.
Tooling from different series tool posts all use the same size dovetail so they are interchangeable.
Almost all the tooling is designed to be flipped over with set screws for each side.
Set screw for height adjustment sits on a pin that is concealed when turning so chips dont effect height when changing tools.

Cons:
Only front dovetail, no side.

KDK stuff has been going for high dollar on ebay lately. Dont know why. I got mine before the rush last year. I have seen a couple holders go for more than new!

What I really want is a Multifix toolpost though. But I would go into debt if I got one...

I've got Aloris and Dorian on my machines. The BXA on the EE, CXA on the CK, and a CA on the CY. The CA is a Dorian the others are Aloris. I haven't noticed the problem Donie outlined, but most of my interrupted cuts get done on the CY due to the size of the work.
I had a Yuasa, Aloris clone, on a 13" Harrison I had at one time. It's in the same league as the Aloris and Dorian.
I've also had a couple of the import clones, such as Phase II, and didn't care for their feel.
One thing to watch out for, and I don't know how many users are affected by this, but it is the indexing repeatability of the toolpost. I originally had an import on the CY, but the repeatability was terrible, in fact non-existent IIRC, and was replaced by the Dorian, which I haven't regretted. Hopefully the import repeatability has improved.
Harry

I'm using an Aloris BXA on my 10ee, and I'm quite pleased with it. It's very rigid, which was my primary reason for getting it.

I had an AXA previously. Big difference.

- Leigh

"KDK stuff has been going for high dollar on ebay lately. Dont know why."

Delivery of KDK systems, accessories and kits has been spotty at best.

Scarcity of KDK units, especially from the manufacturer, undoubtedly influences the second-hand market.

"What I really want is a Multifix toolpost though. But I would go into debt if I got one..."

Shars is again selling a Multifix clone.

"I believe that I will go with the BXA size for my 1949 MG 10EE"

Aloris recommends the AX/AXA size for the 10EE, but the machine is so rigid the extra rigidity of the BX/BXA size is preferable.

I use BXA-I's on mine, but I got a screaming deal on them, otherwise I would have bought standard (that is, non-indexable) BXA's.

Donie uses large boring bars on his EEs, and I would think the BXA would be better for that service.

I would also look at the DTM toolposts. I had one of those (CXA) on a Pacemaker, and it was easily the nicest QCTP I've ever used. The mechanism is really cool, and that sucker locked down TIGHT. In terms of cost, I think they are right around the cost of an Aloris or Dorian. I'll probably get one for my 10EE when I have the $. For now, I'm just using a KDK 100. The versatility of the KDK set is great.

I have a Rivett 1020F which is similar to the 10EE. I use two different tools posts. The first is an Aloris BXA, which is smooth operating and very stiff. The only thing I dislike is that it is a bit bulky for small work.

My other post is an import Multifix that is about one size smaller than recommended for my machine. I need about a 3/4" spacer under it to get the right height. I really like this post because it is so easy to get most any angle you need without loosening the post clamp bolt. It is also very compact so you can get into some tight spots on smaller work. I only wish I could afford the higher quality swiss version of the same post instead of the Chinese clone.

The only downside to the multifix is cost, and they are also a little harder to keep clean.

I prefer the KDK, as supplied by forum members and ebay. Never bought a new one (which actually goes for about anything in my shops), and indeed believe I first became interested in them once I learned that they were a decent system with some tricks, and at the time were a hell of a lot more affordable than the big names in the used world.

I've used some sort of chindian aloris style I got from Enco when I first started, and once the import problems are factored in, or ignored, I would have no problem using a real Aloris, or Dorian or DTM. BTW, I thought last year there was discussion of Travers having a house branded set that was USA, suspected of being from DTM. Won't swear I got it all right there, but was considering it before another KDK appeared.

Now that the chindian set left with ny little SB, it's all KDK: 100, 150 & 200. AS previously mentioned the ability to use the differeng size holders on different body is a damn sweet trick for a one man band like me with three lathes to feed goodies to. And yes, they only have one dovetail on the body of the thing, but those sort of "L" shaped toolholders take care of that for me.

The 100 is a mite small on the 10EE, but looks right on the Hendey T&G. The 150 works on both the 10EE & the CK (the lathe it was originally bought for). The 200 is not real useful for anything here in reality. I bought it because it was cheap, and somewhere along the way I had acquired toolholders more appropriate to it. For big boring work it's held in reserve until needed; otherwise just trying to look around it is a pain. I'm going to see if I can rig a mount on the 10EE for the 200 on vee way at the back of the crosslide. It's mass and height I think may work well for backside parting and other such rudeness from the wrong side of the lathe.

Not happy to hear of the scarcity driving up prices:bawling: These are supposed to be my cheap solution to good toolposts.

Have seen some new stuff on epay that is supposed to interchangeable with originals (tool holders only I believe). Haven't had a need to try one myself, but I'd to hear if someone has bought one and what they think.

I've got a number of different toolholders for the 10EE, but the one that lives up there the most is the Aloris BXA. I lived for a while with an Phase II AXA, but the BX size is a lot better, and Aloris is a step up from Phase II (which is one of the better imports). I was kind of tired of the cost of the BAX toolholders and tried an import, was not at all impressed with it and so traded it away, I think I'll stay with the better toolholders from now on.

"Donie uses large boring bars on his EEs, and I would think the BXA would be better for that service."
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u265/donsmonarch10ee/?action=view&current=cylinderboring.jpg

I was completely amazed that this would work. I was boring these Harley cylinders on a L&S Powerturn, had that machine tied up on other work.
I made this spindle fixture for the EE to bore smaller dirt bike cylinders, I rigged an HD Twincam cylinder to it, drilled a hole through a CA 1 1/4" boring bar holder to mount directly to the EE top slide.
The little EE will bore a 3 7/8" or bigger hole 7" long with no problem.
I always have used a lathe for this to keep the cylinder base dead square to the bore.
As heavy as the EE is, I consider them a light duty machine. The machines are capable of heavy cuts, but it depends how much rpm drop with the resulting heat build up in the drive one finds acceptable.
Working with the later module drive machine, if the drive is loaded beyond the capacity of the compensation circut to maintain speed, the drive will develop considerable heat and the control will kick out. The module drive lathe is in good condition, with that in mind and not wanting to put wear on on it from rough cutting, the AXA size works fine for the finishing cuts and threading I use it for.
Having a heavy duty gear head lathe is nice for serious metal removal.

Back