What's new
What's new

Prepping a 10 EE for a road trip

m-lud

Stainless
I have looked at a couple threads on building skids for moving a 10ee. I would like to bolt it down and strap it to a skid. Are there places to bolt it down from inside the cabinet?
I'm not at the lathe's location.
I lifted it to move closer to the door the other day from the cross casting out in front of the chuck. Perfect balance. Per the book.

If anyone has photo's or know of a thread that shows what others have done I would appreciate posting's. I have searched.
Its just a skid but I want it home undamaged. Ill either use a trailer or just put on the bed of my 04 f350 sd.
I'm thinking 4'wide x the length of the lathe. 4x4's and 2x6's. Strapped and bolted down.
I can also add banding with blocks to protect the bed. I'm not sure about banding

I have moved a lot of machinery. I have waited a while for one of these lathes and want a trouble free move. Only moving it 25 miles. I will not have a face plant. I understand the reason for three feet stand but it tips a little easier. Three wheel tractors have killed many that don't understand how easy they go over.

I may build a base that includes a wooden walkway on the front when I get it home. Standing on concrete kills my bad leg in a hurry, Then I'll trip on the edge and brake my neck.
Thanks Mike

This may be dependent on year.

There are at least three large-ish through holes in the base. Two at the headstock end and one at the tailstock end. Tailstock hole would be accessed through cover on the end of the lathe. Headstock end- one is inside the front left door the other you would need to take the end covers off-- it is to the left of the motor when looking at the end.

I can't remember if the holes are 3/4", 7/8" or 1"

This Axelson is very top heavy, the wide skid, bracing and banding, made the machine easy to handle.
yPFoWMs.jpg

There are 4 holes in the lower base on my 1965 square dial. The forth is in the front where all the electronics used to be (pre-VFD days :)).

What year model is the one you are moving? That may help figure this out for ya..as someone with that year model can chime in.

This Axelson is very top heavy, the wide skid, bracing and banding, made the machine easy to handle.
yPFoWMs.jpg

That looks good Donie. I like the brace under the pan. Wide platform! That's a lot more top heavy than a 10ee. I see that banding is ok. Also surrounded at the base by 2x4's
I will go 4' wide.

Sneebot
I't was built in 1961 + or -
I'll look for those holes and lag bolt it down. That's a plus to be able to bolt it down.

Its made it 58 years without a bent handle. I don't to be the one. The covers will be in the back seat of the truck. I actually had a bad dream about the covers blowing off. After reading Bobs unfortunate incident.
I'm a mile down a gravel road. Should I remove the thyratron tubes? No big potholes just gravel. The 04 super duty does feel every rock.
Pack them like a bottle of nitro. I may be obsessing. Thanks Mike

monarch - 1.jpg

Here is mine skidded. I did not bolt to the skid. i banded to it, but had since cut off the banding when this photo was taken. Heavy duty 2" straps once it was on the trailer. I forget if I blocked it in place on the skid as well. It was an easy move.

Peter

If it has thyratrons, removing them is mandatory. Get some of the very soft non woven padding used in pillows and wrap them so there is at least 4" on all sides and put them in a box.

Bill

Peter
I had not thought of going in with the forks in on the headstock end but that's a better option with the 10ee's length. Less reaction to weight shift when tilting the forks.

This photo appears to be a Monarch shipping skid. It appears the wood block they are lifting with was removed from under the headstock end. Ill use the crossover casting or a steel bar to lift it off of the trailer. Then forks under the skid.
untitledttttt.jpg

Bill
I paid for two 8' 4x4's yesterday. I drove back to load them and there wasn't one good piece of wood. Either they had knots or checks half way through or were banana shaped. I got my money back. Ill look at 4x6's at HD. I may double up 2x6's.
There you can see before paying for it.
I will use carriage bolts vs lag screws. A well built skid can be reused.
The easy to remove headstock end covers are convenient for removal but are a shell casting ,no gusset strength. They are already packed away for moving.

Thanks Mike

Bill 9100
Thanks on confirming removing the Thyrotron tubes

I have a set of heavy duty 10EE shipping brackets that came from Mare Island. They were used to clamp a 10EE to a pallet, so they have a flange at the bottom with a bolt hole. On top they are bent to the contour of the base and they have a hook that slides over the casting. If anyone wants them I will give them to you, but you need to pick them up.

Dave

The brackets are 18" tall and are bent from 2 ½" x ½" steel. They were bolted to the pallet 4x4's with 15" bolts or all thread. The top bend radius is big enough that they can slip over the angled portion of the base casting in front as well as in the rear.
IMG_0690.jpgIMG_0691.jpg

Back