What's new
What's new

Problems with my 1956 10EE lathe with the WIAD drive.

When I press the start button on my lathe, the contactor kicks in but releases as soon as I let go of the start button.
I have gone over the troubleshooting section, and nothing seems to work.

For some reason my field failure relay is not being energized. I tested the resistance of the coil of this relay, and got a reading of 8.7 ohm's. I got a reading of 155 ac volts between circuit 73, and f2 . I know it should be about 145 volts but it's been running for many years. I also checked the resistance of the shunt field between f1 and f2 and got 115 ohms.
If I short out the contacts on the field failure relay, the lathe works fine other than the dynamic braking does not work. I only test by jumping the relay terminals for troubleshooting because I don't want to screw anything up. I've had this problem many times before but like a big dummy I never documented how I fixed it. I'm trying to figure it out all so hopefully you guys can help me with this. I have changed the tubes numerous times and it doesn't seem to help.
I have cleaned and adjusted all the contacts in the main contactor so I know I'm good there.
I think I've only made a couple posts on this site and I always got great answers. I really appreciate you guys and the time you spend answering questions about these fantastic lathes.

Thank you again for all the great work and information on this site.

The long winded
Larry B

Your field loss relay is detecting a field loss and will not pull in if the current going through the field is not there the field voltage is DC check the voltage on f1 and f2 about 130 VDC with the speed all the way down. I suspect the field control tube is bad.

There is a time delay tube 6N060 that will allow the main contactor to close when it has heated up, specs say usually around 30 seconds. On mine, this is about 5 minutes or more on a chilly morning. Also, all the tubes need to have a good warmup after they energise for a few minutes before you start using it, or the lathe will quit (contactor pops open) , and you have to start the process over again. I am still using all original components/tubes, so the Sisso? C16J tube replacements may fix it, but what fun is there in that ,plus I like the pretty colors. Also check and clean all the tube contacts. I had a problem a few years ago and at wits end thinking some complicated electronic issue, but was just a bad prong connection on one of the tubes.

Thank you for responding and I apologize for not getting back sooner. Things have been a little hectic around here but I just wanted to reply to your comments. A little while ago I went out and I checked the voltage that should be between F1 and f2. I got absolutely no voltage. And then went and checked the time delay relay. I live in a fairly warm place so it should easily go on within a couple of minutes. I looked at it for that couple of minutes and nothing happened. I pulled the tube out and was going to see if I could test resistance in the coil of the tube but trying to read the pin out of that tube is very confusing to me because the tube schematic from the manufacturer was not very clear. Anyway I'm not sure if the tube works or not so I'm going to find one on eBay. Thank you again for your quick response, and as soon as I get that and I get things going or at least hope so, I'll let you guys know what the outcome was.

Thank you Daryl for getting back to me.
I did check that delay tube. It did not close after 2 minutes or so. It's pretty warm here and normally it works pretty quick. Anyway I tried to check the resistance of the coil, I guess you would call it a coil on the tube but could not find the right pins to test. I looked at the manufacturer site and it was pretty confusing at least to me, because I don't do this stuff everyday. You mentioned the Slsso alternative. I changed out t those pretty tubes that cost big bucks with the new alternative, and I have been extremely happy. Can't go wrong for $136 bucks a piece. I can't remember who I just wrote the other reply to but I'm going to order a couple of those 6N060 tubes from eBay. Hopefully that works. In the meantime I am going to check some connections and make sure everything is good.

Back