What's new
What's new

Purchasing Monarch 60/61

viane

Plastic
Hey Everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to Monarch lathes. I found what I am hoping is a deal. There is a local machine shop that closed years ago and is selling off the inventory. They have for sale a 1955 model 60 but has closed gear box so a later build as I am told. Doing an inspection, the lathe itself looks to be in pretty good shape for being 60+ years old. The ways do not look warn and everything moves freely. My only concern is that the gear box covers were off and after putting a deposit down, some internet pictures lead to me to believe I am missing some parts. They may be near by but at the time I did not see them on the machine.

Attached are a couple pictures of the gear box but also a picture I found on the internet showing what I am assuming this should look like. I am in contact with Monarch to get a parts manual but do not have it yet. The first pic (blue is the picture I found off the internet) the bottom 2 are the unit I am looking at.

It appears that I am missing 2 levers that attach to the gear change, missing a spider gear in the center and missing a plate and possibly a shaft that runs along in the lower part. Does anyone have a picture of the parts break down they could share while I am waiting for my manuals? How easy/ hard are these parts to get?

I purchase this unit for $900 and includes 3 chucks, a lot of tooling and a steady rest so I know I am not money behind but don't want to dump a ton of money into either. Any help is appreciated!

Resized_20181211_205127_8320.jpgResized_20181211_093550_5060.jpgResized_20181211_093546_7780.jpg

Manuals are available online at VintageMachinery.org | Welcome they've got lots of good info! You'll want to download the parts & operators for the 60 & the 61, the parts manual for the 61 is MUCH better than the 60. I've got a 60 that I'd be lost without. There are several really good posts on here if you dig a little.
Good luck with your search.

I would be concerned as to why it was apart

wouldn't stop me buying, would limit my price.

never realized the small lever machines had big levers behind the covers

learn something every day

That was my thoughts but for $900 with all the parts included, even after moving costs I figured I would be ahead.

Thanks joeman for the website. I found the 61 parts diagram but cannot find a couple of parts that are in the picture (the blue lathe that I found online). I have attached the picture with the items circled in red. Do you know what these are called?

Capture.jpg

I can't help with the missing parts questions. Think the 60/61 are very nice machines and if you can get it running, you got a keeper.

Writing here to note that the gear box looks very clean, but also very, very dry. Make sure the lubrication system (pumps, pipes, manifolds, etc) is working and the proper amount of lube has been added before powering this machine up.

I can't help with the missing parts questions. Think the 60/61 are very nice machines and if you can get it running, you got a keeper.

Writing here to note that the gear box looks very clean, but also very, very dry. Make sure the lubrication system (pumps, pipes, manifolds, etc) is working and the proper amount of lube has been added before powering this machine up.

Most definitely. I plan on going through the entire thing before trying to hook up to power.

Thanks joeman for the website. I found the 61 parts diagram but cannot find a couple of parts that are in the picture (the blue lathe that I found online). I have attached the picture with the items circled in red. Do you know what these are called?

View attachment 244243
OK, looks like you've got a model 60 Engine Lathe! That gear with the shaft coming through it is the Lead Screw Reverse. Sorry but I'm having trouble putting a name on that plate, the book for the 60 doesn't show it and it doesn't seem to be on the 61. Unless somebody else chimes in maybe a call to Monarch would be your best bet.

Once you decide on a permanent parking spot (before you actually start to use it for anything important) you'll need to level this thing and it can't be too level! And watch out, it's a little top-heavy & kinda heavy. What's the rest of this beast look like? What about the swing & bed length? Which chucks did you get with it?

I'll definitely level it when I finally get my shop insulated but for now it will be up front in the heated garage for the winter. I am really not looking forward to moving this thing haha. Comes with an 8" 4 jaw, 12" 4 jaw, collet chuck, and face plate. Comes with some tooling and live centers and all that good stuff. Overall its in pretty good shape. Shop has been closed for around 10 years so the machine is dusty and it was covered in oil for storage. its 16" (18.5") with 54" between centers. I am guessing this machine weighs about 8k lbs. I am going back tomorrow to size up the lathe and get some measurements to move. Hopefully I find the missing parts!

I contacted Scott Foster at Monarch and said these parts were for a lead screw reverse option which mine does not have so that is good (good that I don't need to look for these parts). Hopefully will be able to find the levers with those splined couplings that go into the levers.

I contacted Scott Foster at Monarch and said these parts were for a lead screw reverse option which mine does not have so that is good (good that I don't need to look for these parts). Hopefully will be able to find the levers with those splined couplings that go into the levers.
Mines 14 by 30, I've wished it was bigger a few times, just not when I've moved it! Sounds like you're making quite a score, if you change your mind I doubt you'll have any trouble at least breaking even, even minus a few parts.
I thought all the 60's had Lead Screw Reverse levers and that it was just a matter of whether they had the lever up by the speed control levers or down on the Apron, I thought the book said Engine Lathes were up top, Tool Room Lathes on the Apron. Guess that proves, you learn something new everyday & I'm way ahead this week.
Good luck on the Speed Levers, hopefully they're still in the shop somewhere. Are they selling anything else?

He has a few machines left. He has another lathe (pics attached) that is fairly large. There are a few horizontal lathes, surface grinder, some Bridgeport heads, lots of tooling and many misc. things. DSCF3855.jpgDSCF3852.jpgDSCF3854.jpg

Update: I went and looked at the lathe again. I found out why the cover was off. The spindle Clutch shoes/ pins were out of the shift fork so those probably went bad. However, I was not able to find those shift lever with the spline gear parts nor the shift handles. The handles I am not worried about, I can fab something up for those but the internal levers will be tough to find, especially that splined coupling. Good news is he knocked another few hundred off the price.

You got a lot of iron for very little money. Unfortunately as you may have already found out, hard parts from Monarch are over the moon expensive and it seems that nobody parts these machines out. I need one of the little gear change handles that actuates those big levers for my machine(late 60 just like yours with 61 features). Lots of internet searching has brought nothing but dead ends. Monarch wants around $800 I think it was for that piece. My machine is functional without it. The previous owner scabbed something together to make it work, but I really want the correct handle. I'm to the point where I'm keeping an eye out for another machine that can be purchased and parted out, all for one handle! If I do I will keep you in mind for the parts you need. I wish you the best of luck in saving that machine. They are beautiful machines. I literally completely disassembled mine to restore it, so if you have questions or need pictures of anything feel free to send me a message.

JaredLathe2.jpg

You got a nice machine for fairly short money. If the parts not something you can fab, it is possible that buying from Monarch you will still be under market for the machine.

Not to spend your money for you.......

Thanks Baitshop! If you do end up finding one I will definitely buy some parts! I am missing all 4 handles too but not worried about it. Monarch quoted me just shy of $6k for all the parts. I will be fabbing everything up. For now I just want to get it functional. Over time once I am able to find parts, then I will be trying to get it back to original.

Hi Michael. Yours is the lathe in pictures above when asking for the handles. This is what mine looks like currently. I have the covers and all but the handles and other items are missing. Resized_20181213_092347_9886.jpg

You got a lot of iron for very little money. Unfortunately as you may have already found out, hard parts from Monarch are over the moon expensive and it seems that nobody parts these machines out. I need one of the little gear change handles that actuates those big levers for my machine(late 60 just like yours with 61 features). Lots of internet searching has brought nothing but dead ends. Monarch wants around $800 I think it was for that piece. My machine is functional without it. The previous owner scabbed something together to make it work, but I really want the correct handle. I'm to the point where I'm keeping an eye out for another machine that can be purchased and parted out, all for one handle! If I do I will keep you in mind for the parts you need. I wish you the best of luck in saving that machine. They are beautiful machines. I literally completely disassembled mine to restore it, so if you have questions or need pictures of anything feel free to send me a message.

JaredView attachment 244996

I’m pretty sure I have a couple of these handles available?

I will get some pictures posted soon......

Kevin

Back