What's new
What's new

Early Square Dial Cross Feed Dial Question

rimcanyon

Diamond
My 1949 Mfg. lathe came with the dial assembly below. Looks a lot like a round dial dial assembly, right?

IMG_1341.jpg

Here is a photo that shows it in comparison with the more common square dial dial assembly:

IMG_1344.jpg

I would like to add a chasing stop to the early dial assembly. Monarch tells me they cannot find a parts drawing that shows that combination; i.e. all the dial assemblies they are aware of with chasing stops are of the later style. So are they correct? i.e. do any of you have an early Square Dial with the older style dial assembly that has a chasing stop?

Is there enough room in there for all those stops, like on the later dial?

Definitely. The stops are the same for round dial and square dial, it all works the same. As I said above, these look a lot like round dial parts. Maybe Monarch continued to use them on square dial machines.

I have two of these dial assemblies, both are missing the stops, so maybe they were only used on mfg. lathes. I hope Donnie responds, there aren't too many mfg. lathes on the forum.

Dave

Can't help other than to say the 'chasing stop' is one of those 'smile every time you get to use it' features of the EE. It works. It's intuitive. It's a brilliant design.

Good luck!

That must be a round dial assembly as it looks exactly like whats on a CVA which is half cloned straight from an early 10ee.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My 1946 square dial has the chasing stop. It's the revolution counting dial with the chasing stop, I figured they came standard with the ELSR. Bill

Oop's, looks like you are talking about MFG lathes, never mind....

My 1946 square dial has the chasing stop. It's the revolution counting dial with the chasing stop, I figured they came standard with the ELSR. Bill

Oop's, looks like you are talking about MFG lathes, never mind....

I heard from another member of the forum that he has a rev-counting dial (actually called an accumulating dial by Monarch) that came on a mfg. lathe. It was missing the chasing stop. So that is an unusual combination for sure.

When you say the stops are missing, are the dials not machined? Or are they ready to accept the parts necessary to have the stop?

When you say the stops are missing, are the dials not machined? Or are they ready to accept the parts necessary to have the stop?

The base casting, the part with a two hole flange that bolts to the cross slide, is machined with a recess for the three stops and it is threaded for the screw at setscrew. The dial portion is machined for the center bushing that the stops fit on, but it is not machined for the dowels that contact the stops. So to convert this early dial I would just need the stop screw and to drill the dial for a pair of dowels, plus the stops.

Back