What's new
What's new

Question on 10EE round dial RPM

kvom

Plastic
I just noticed that with spindle in reverse the RPM dial is not moving. Can I assume this is normal and that when I set the speed in FWD it will be the same in REV?

Yep the the tack wiill not register in reverse and the rpm in forward will be the same in reverse.

If the forward and reverse speeds aren't the same it's a symptom of the spindle motor brushes not being correctly timed. If the motor sounds the same forward and reverse and there's no significant sparking it's probably close enough.

Cal
---

Hi Cal,

That may help with the issue I have. I just picked up a 1942 round dial from a forum member. Everything works well except I only get 1250 RPM. In reverse however it goes much faster. Until a nice flame shoots out around the brushes on the left side. When it does that I back it off and shut it down. It has done that twice.

I was thinking at first it might be the Ohmite rheostat as it seems to run just fine up to 1250 RPM, but reverse will run much faster so I am not so sure. They seem to behave like you have described to others except the values I get are different than others.

Could it be timing? I just looked at the armature and it doesn't look in the best of shape. Almost like some of the bars never contact the brushes.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

JeremyIMG_20200724_204454.jpg

Also thank you so much for all the information you have given out over the years. I have spent the last couple of weeks reading all the awesome information you have shared.

Thanks,

Jeremy

... I just picked up a 1942 round dial from a forum member. Everything works well except I only get 1250 RPM. In reverse however it goes much faster. Until a nice flame shoots out around the brushes on the left side. ...

Could it be timing? I just looked at the armature and it doesn't look in the best of shape. Almost like some of the bars never contact the brushes.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

JeremyView attachment 294848
It definitely sounds like the brush timing is off and your commutator is in need of serious attention. Fix those problems first, then see if the motor will come up to full speed.

If you send me an e-mail I can send you some information on commutator reconditioning.

Cal
---

If the forward and reverse speeds aren't the same it's a symptom of the spindle motor brushes not being correctly timed. If the motor sounds the same forward and reverse and there's no significant sparking it's probably close enough.

Cal
---
You’re making an assumption... not all round dials have spindle motor brushes, and those that don’t have a fixed reverse speed, not variable like forward.

You’re making an assumption... not all round dials have spindle motor brushes, and those that don’t have a fixed reverse speed, not variable like forward.
He posted a picture of the commutator and the brushes. It appears to be a common 10EE Reliance 3HP DC motor, just like mine.

Apart from the Sundstrand drive machines, I've not come across a round-dial 10EE with a factory drive that didn't use a DC spindle motor. Have you seen such a machine?

Cal
---

Back