What's new
What's new

Recutting the faces on my single dog clutch, 12CK

Cole2534

Diamond
The feed clutch on my 12CK engages very smoothly in reverse, but often times skips and bangs going forward. No surprise there, that's where the wear is the greatest. Looking over the manual and parts list, it seems these could be machined back square and get back to a better engagement?

Or is that a waste of time?

Thanks, Cole

The feed clutch on my 12CK engages very smoothly in reverse, but often times skips and bangs going forward. No surprise there, that's where the wear is the greatest. Looking over the manual and parts list, it seems these could be machined back square and get back to a better engagement?

Or is that a waste of time?

Thanks, Cole

There is a drive clutch, but I believe the feed direction control just has gears and dogs with no clutch mechanism. At first I though you were talking about the drive clutch with a reversing motor (not standard for a CK), but upon re-reading I'm guessing you're talking of the feed direction control?

There is a drive clutch, but I believe the feed direction control just has gears and dogs with no clutch mechanism. At first I though you were talking about the drive clutch with a reversing motor (not standard for a CK), but upon re-reading I'm guessing you're talking of the feed direction control?
Yes, i thought that's what the manual called it? Regardless, that's the one. Already worked on the spindle clutch. :)

Sent via CNC 88HS

I see no reason why it could not be done. I have re-machined several motorcycle gearbox dogs to good effect, when the edges were rounded enough to make it skip out of gear.

Did you slighty undercut them?

I was a little worried that I'd remove too much and cut through the hardened surface. But hell, it's already 77 and I plan to keep it well through its century mark. Could probably remake them from aluminum and be fine.

Sent via CNC 88HS

Did you slighty undercut them?

I was a little worried that I'd remove too much and cut through the hardened surface. But hell, it's already 77 and I plan to keep it well through its century mark. Could probably remake them from aluminum and be fine.

Sent via CNC 88HS

Not engaging then going in hard sounds more like its sticking on the shaft. Slipping out of engagement would be worn or rounded off edges. Can you try oiling it before dismantling. Just a thought.
On second thought round edges could still make engaging hard. Arguing with myself again.
Usually undercut.

Back