What's new
What's new

Removing carriage from 10ee

You can do it both ways. Whatever, you will
have to remove the feedrod/leadscrew end bearing support housing(tailstock end). If you have the reverse/leadscrew control rod, things are alittle more tricky,if not, both
the leadscrew and the feed rod will slip out of their rear bearings. Both rods are taper
pinned to spigots at the gearbox. Freeing these,I don't see why you couldn't pull them through and out from the carriage. You could slide the carriage down and off the end of the ways, but you better have a small crane or a work party handy. That carriage complete is a heavy hunk'0 iron. I will give you some more details of this procedure if you need it. Daryl

Carriage seems to be hanging on the feed rod
there must be something that enagaes the slot not??? I found the taper pin in the lead screw but can't see one on the feed rod. This machine has a clutch at the gearbox end, are they all like that?
Bob

Hi Bob:
I took the dog clutch on the feed shaft apart because I couldn't get it disengaged from the gearbox either.
I used a 5/32 allen key cut down and shaped to a blade to get at the three slotted screws that hold the clutch together.
I recommend undoing the bolts that hold the "H" shaped saddle onto the apron and taking it apart as two pieces.
Daryl is right...that carriage is HEAVY if you try to get it off the machine in one piece.
Cheers

Marcus

There is a worm drive that engages the slot in the feed rod. Make sure that rod is clean and that the slot does go to the end and doesn't terminate before the end. Some do. That ole rod should just pull right out. It is supposed to be a nice sliding fit in the the worm. Give it a good look before forcing anything. Daryl

Yes, if you have that dog clutch, it has to be disassembled first. Seem like its a 50/50
mix that some models have that clutch and some don't. Kinda a neat safety feature I think.

Back