What's new
What's new

removing those sight glasses

lectrician1

Hot Rolled
To remove the site glasses, I take the three 8-32 screws out, then I get three 10-32 socket head screws 1" long and screw them into the soft aluminum bezel. they cut their own thread in the aluminum. as soon as the larger screw hits the cast iron it pushes the bezel right out. Then I remove the cork and back plate and cut a relief in the back of the bezel for a rubber o ring #215 available at home depot. Clean the bezel and the plastic lens and reinstall with the original 8-32 screws without the cork and backplate. No leaks o rings work great.

Bullsnot. Takes 'em right out "at once" where mere 10-32 screws will just strip the ZAMAK bezel. It ain't all that strong for threads, that alloy, that thin.

You do realize its the twisting motion that shears the gasket material, and that it is a "one time, only" task, yah? Gonna have to scrape, either way until converted to "O" rings. And convert is what one DOES.

After that conversion, you don't need threads OR pin-spanner, so why bother to tap the holes?

With "O" rings, the bezel and window come right out.
Cork gaskets yep will work well but somebody used Permatex and used it like they had plenty, my pin-spanner complained a bunch I had a roundial and they were not AL.

There's "some" Aluminium IN "ZAMAK", just not as much as there is Zinc, so, no they won't stand up all that well to threads against what probably pre-dated Permatex's ownership.

"Indian Head" red-brown shellac. Heat and alcohol if yah can-do. Otherwise "BFBI". It was the "epoxy" of ancient times long before "Permatex" - at the time with only 2 or 3 decent sealants of their own - bought the company.

Permatex(R) Indian Head(R) Gasket Shellac Compound - Permatex

:)
On my Round dial they are chrome plated iron as they are magnetic I had to use a tap. On my square dial they are an alloy.

the oversized screws worked well for me. To each his own. I just thought I'd share. IT seems pretty simple thing to unscrew 3 8-32 screws and install three 10-32 screws and jack the bezel directly out. No hand tapping involved. Whatever works for you.

the oversized screws worked well for me. To each his own. I just thought I'd share. IT seems pretty simple thing to unscrew 3 8-32 screws and install three 10-32 screws and jack the bezel directly out. No hand tapping involved. Whatever works for you.
I had to tap mine as they were chrome plated iron and were Permatex in and a pin-spanner did not work but the screws did work with some heat applied.

Back