What's new
What's new

Replacing old elec.stuff

daryl bane

Titanium
Does anybody have a knowledgeable electronic
supplier that has or can find the obsolete
components in the 50's and 60's EEs. The oil-filled capacitors are first thing on the list. Thanks

Hi Daryl:
Those oil filled bathtub capacitors are ultra expensive. You can buy ones at half rating and wire them parallel (Piggyback). They were originally MilSpec and very expensive. Try Empire Machinery 585-328-2340. they've got a set laying on their bench right now that work and are used.
Steve

The mica caps are easy enough to find, as well as the single caps. But the duplex .25 mfd I couldn't find in anything near the same form factor. I would go around replacing anything that isn't at least suspected - if it's lasted 45 years it's likely to last another 10 or so.

The capacitors don't really have a "wear-out" mechanism. They are good until they break down and leak, or go open.

Unless proven bad, leave them alone, you have nice life-tested parts!

were going to give them a thorough test,and hopefully put them back into service, but I
like to keep them bases covered. Have sent them to a specialty capacitor co. in NY. If they come up with viable replacements, I'll post the results here.

Back