What's new
What's new

Requesting copies of 10EE lathe build data sheets

Cal Haines

Diamond
I would greatly appreciate help filling in some gaps in my understanding of the various options and configurations of Monarch 10EE lathes. I you have copies of the lathe build data sheets (for lack of their correct name) that you would be willing to share, please send me an e-mail. (You can go to my profile page by using this link and select "Send Email".)

What I'm calling the lathe build data sheets are Monarch Forms M-128 and M-129. Form M-128 lists the customer for the machine and the "Unit Assembly" numbers for the major components, such as Drive Unit, Headstock, Apron, etc., as well as accessories like rests, tool cabinets and supplied tooling. Form M-129 lists the part numbers for components like the Headstock, Headstock Cover, etc.

This is an example of form M-128:
311966d1611833313-adventures-my-1942-monarch-10ee-14888-lathe-record.jpg

source: The Adventures of my 1942 Monarch 10EE.

Thanks!

Cal

Last edited:
Build Sheets

20210206_171008.jpg20210206_171017.jpg

Tried following your link but attachments don't seem to be offered with email messages here.
These are the build sheets for my 1969 10ee.

Mark

Tried following your link but attachments don't seem to be offered with email messages here.
These are the build sheets for my 1969 10ee.

Mark
Thanks. The forum turns the scans into JPGs that are pretty fuzzy and hard to read. I sent you an email with my address, so that can sent them to me.

To anyone else who is willing to help me, just send me an email or message, I'll reply and then you can send pages as an e-mail attachment. I don't want to put my email address here, for obvious reasons.

Cal

I appreciate those of you that sent me copies of your build sheets. I learned several interesting things:

First (and this probably should have been obvious), the "Unit Assembly No." or just "Unit No." is related to the assembly drawing for the unit and, in the case of square-dials, to the parts sheets. For example the build sheet for EE-49961, dated 2-1969 shows the unit number for the apron as "EE-7-23". I have a copy of apron assembly drawing EE-7-22, dated 9-1967. Parts sheets 143 through 147 all show apron sub-assemblies and each one has "UNIT EE7". Similarly, parts sheet 111 shows the steady rest, which is annotated "UNIT EE13". Round-dial build sheets usually list the steady rest as unit EE-13-2 and square-dials list EE-13-3. It appears that the last number was increased as the part was revised. One part that appears to have remained unchanged is the face plate, unit no. EE-64-1. During the 1960s Monarch switched from the "EE" prefix for unit and drawing numbers, replacing it with numbers starting at 200, i.e. "201.", "202.", and so forth.

Second, two of the build sheets, one from 1969 and one from 1977, call out the paint as Pittsburgh "Vista Green". The 1977 also has the paint code as "PPG-23-76". So if you're looking for the original "Monarch green", that's it.

Monarch didn't use the same form for build or order data. The forms seem to have changed ever few years.

I still don't have very many round-dial build sheets. If anyone else has round- or square-dial build sheets that they're will to share with me, please contact me via e-mail.

Cal

Cal, Just received my build sheet on ee10 ,37852 for Monarch. send me your email and I will send the file to you.
cheers,
Ron Boudreau

A few more emailed to you. I just used your account from years ago. let me know if you didn't recieve.

What you posted is the build sheet for Monarch's Lathe. This sheet calls out all the subassemblies used to build that lathe. In the later build sheet posted further down, is what I am more familiar with. The assembly numbers with a dash is the varent for that assembly. Anything starting with a "Q" means it was non-standard or specially made for that customer. In the builder's list with the original post is back when Monarch used prefix numbers for the type of lathe, in this case EE, and in most cases only is listing the top subassembly used, but in some areas of the list shows major components used to make the subassembly. At the end are the items that shipped loose like chucks, tooling, etc.

Monarch did not have a top assembly that actually showed the complete lathe, just drawings of each subassembly that combine made the lathe. One unofficial side project I did was to draw the Series 614 2030 x 78" in CADAM. Which I found handy, but my boss thought I was wasting my time when he caught me working on it.

Those were the days,

John

John, Thanks for the explanation. Do you have any idea if, during the "EE" prefix drawing days, they would have generated an assembly drawing for each version of a unit. For example, I know that apron assembly drawing EE-7-22 existed, do you think that there would have also been drawings EE-7-21, EE-7-20, etc., all the way back drawing EE-7-1, or did they skip making a new drawing if the change were minor enough?

I remember CADAM well! It was the first CAD system that I learned, back when I was a young engineer working for IBM. Main-frame stuff back then, with a giant vector tube and a light pen.

Cal

John, Thanks for the explanation. Do you have any idea if, during the "EE" prefix drawing days, they would have generated an assembly drawing for each version of a unit. For example, I know that apron assembly drawing EE-7-22 existed, do you think that there would have also been drawings EE-7-21, EE-7-20, etc., all the way back drawing EE-7-1, or did they skip making a new drawing if the change were minor enough?

I remember CADAM well! It was the first CAD system that I learned, back when I was a young engineer working for IBM. Main-frame stuff back then, with a giant vector tube and a light pen.

FONT=comic sans ms]Cal[/FONT]

Yes each number would have a assembly drawing.

All subassemblies would be built, test and delivered to final assembly. Where to top final assemblers could finish a EE in one 8 shift.

Cal

If Monarch would make new drawings or not depended on type of change made to the assembly. If it was backwards compatible then they would just revise the drawing and BoM. If not they would make a new Drawing and BoM. Both the BoM and assembly drawings had "replaces' and "replaced by" so one could trace the entire history of the assembly in both directions. Assembly drawing were used by the floor so they had to have the correct callouts for parts.

Another note ont he build sheet. If you see at the bottom a series of different dates, those show the revision history of the lathe order. The lathe folder for each lathe has a complete copy of the lathe from original order entered to "as shipped". If the lathe was rebuilt by Monarch, that history would also be in the lathe folder. I found some lathe folders for EE shipped to a company in France with and entry "rerouted to a company in England as France has fallen while the shipment was enroute. Others I found had a note "Order lost at sea" or something to that effect and the order had to be made again. These orders were for 6+ lathes which shows the lathe orders being placed for machinery during the early parts of WW2. When I worked there Monarch had hundreds of cabinets containing all the serialized lathe folders they built. It was an amazing history they kept.

I emailed the bad pdf, plus pics of the hard copy.

Figure I'll post here too for anyone looking.

Pics with and without camera flash used on page one.

86.jpg 87.jpg 88.jpg 89.jpg

Page 2:

70.jpg

I don’t know if you’re still looking for build sheets, if so, here is mine for #53555.

I also have the full manual with drawings & schematics if needed.

Attachments

• 53555.pdf
    92.6 KB · Views: 19
Hello all. I have a 12/1937 Monarch 12 KK lathe.
Who at Monarch could I contact to see about getting the build sheet for my lathe.

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• P1000469.JPG
    P1000469.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
Scott at Monarch helped me with mine.
Ask if they also have the original Invoice or, build sheet. It tells you who bought it and what features it was sold with.
I had to ask specifically for that when ordering .

Just tell the phone representative what you need. They will connect you.

Last edited:

Back