What's new
What's new

Rivett 1020S - Broken half nut gib

TravisR100

Cast Iron
I’ve never seen a gib on a half nut but hey, something new every day. When I got the lathe, as I was cleaning it, I found a piece of cast iron down in the base that appeared to mate with a dovetail. I figured it was from some piece of work done on the machine previously. No. Not so lucky. It was apparently half of the gib on the half nut mechanism.

e716c4984896643e61e051ded17e5ded.jpg

If you look closely in this picture you’ll see the below the lead screw the gib is intact. Above, it’s missing and the shafts of the screws that were sheared off are still there. Luckily those screws were loose and easily removed.

81b503c23c1c5af2c563f3bbd50291e1.jpg

The screw in the middle above is the head of the screw/bolt you can see at the bottom of the first picture. Not sure how any force acted on this to do this damage. The other two fragments are the remains of the other screws. Luckily I kept the piece I found in the bottom of the lathe.

48be120dfb7ce6cca8b43a0917f2611b.jpg

Above you see the piece that was still bolted on and the piece I found in the bottom of the machine. They are obviously cast iron. With the forces as they are on this part I plan to just JB weld the two pieces together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The trucking company that delivered my Barber Colman dropped something on the cast iron downfeed trip lever, breaking it into 3 pieces. JB welded it back together. I stood on it and the glue held. You won’t have any issues with your repair. While you have the apron off you are going to take it apart and check all the bearings, aren’t you?

John

Back