What's new
What's new

Rivett 1020S - "Center Chuck"

TravisR100

Cast Iron
The Rivett doesn't have a morse taper spindle so can't be fitted with a normal center. I thought I read a thread somewhere that there was a device called a "center chuck" which was a center for the spindle. Did I dream this or is this correct? If so, anyone know where I might find one?

Some of the Rivetts came with a MT headstock taper but most came with a taper to fit 6R collets. Getting a 6R to MT conversion collet is fairly rare but apparently doable because some Rivett owners have them.

If someone has two, I’ll get in line behind Travis.

I chuck up a piece of round and turn the 60* point on it. I drive the dog with one of the chuck jaws. It also saves dismounting the chuck when you want to work between centers.

So is this correct? In the linked thread the center is a MT3 inside of that collet device? If so the 6R size is a monster.

I am currently making a tapered bushing for an arbor for my Barber Colman #3 gear hobber with a 1 degree 47' 15" taper on my newly in use Monarch. It looks like you will be using your Rivett to make a center adapter. You don't need to make the threaded portion I wouldn't think. The pressure from your part will hold the 6R taper in place. The taper attachment can make the MT3 part and the compound can make the 20 degree or whatever collet part.

So is this correct? In the linked thread the center is a MT3 inside of that collet device? If so the 6R size is a monster.

I am currently making a tapered bushing for an arbor for my Barber Colman #3 gear hobber with a 1 degree 47' 15" taper on my newly in use Monarch. It looks like you will be using your Rivett to make a center adapter. You don't need to make the threaded portion I wouldn't think. The pressure from your part will hold the 6R taper in place. The taper attachment can make the MT3 part and the compound can make the 20 degree or whatever collet part.

Yes, apparently that is what the linked post shows.

I think you’re right. Pressure from part will hold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had 3 of these 6R to 3MT adapters.
I just sold 2 and have one left.
The bad news is I'll sell it for $8000.
The good news is I'll throw in the lathe for free but you have to come pick it up.

Since I am on day 3 of making my taper bushing, (the taper is essentially unknown, thus lots of time working to achieve it, wear on mating part etc.) it might be worth spending $170 for a Hardinge collet and then putting a straight diameter center in it.

Although, functionally, Barber Colman knew what they were doing with taper bushings, adjustable to zero play, unlike straight bronze bushings.

https://shophardinge.com/productGrid.aspx?catID=1786

John

Bill, I thought of that along the way, but the arbor is a taper arbor, so the only mounting surface is 3/4 inch of 5/8 diameter, approx 8 inches from where the end support taper is, and there was way too much flex to get any kind of consistent cut. BC ground all surfaces on the original part.

If I were working on one of the straight arbors with the taper bushing it might have worked, being able to hold onto a straight surface immediately next to the bushing taper.

Why am I trying to get my taper arbor useable when I have straight arbors? Increase the number of hobs I can buy off eBay and not pay Ash Gear $400 per hob.

Back