What's new
What's new

Rivett 1020S finally arrived.

TravisR100

Cast Iron
Unfortunately it didn’t make the trip unscathed. I guess I’ve got some figuring out to do. Not even sure what supports the big plate the motors sit on.

fd44e886d27f32e4e532808a41dc817b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rubber vibration mounts that came apart in shipping? Is that what the loose chunks are? Looks to be hanging from the belts.

Yep, rubber vibration mounts that look like they basically rotted away. Interestingly enough looking at the parts diagram for the lathe it says these are Chan-L-Mount J2172-1. Unbelievably enough they’re still available from the manufacturer.

When the drive plate swung over it broke the assembly that clamps the “open belt/back belt” lever.

Electrical cabinet. I’m told this has been converted from 440 to 220 but haven’t investigated yet.

244bc2c6ecb8b378b5957076e37fae0f.jpg

3bec11fa63c2499850aa60456f0c9671.jpg

Can see small amount of wear on the ways. Feels like maybe 1 or 2 thousandths. Tried to use an angle that shows it best I could.

ad74dcc376d80ce4cc502ad0eb876a5d.jpg

Probably already badly perished before it was even loaded from age & c. anyway.

Be happy those are a cheap fix, and not overly picky as to how nor with what, there being far more choices of elastomer now than back in the day.

I don’t know that I’d call it cheap. Just ordered four Lord J2172-1 mounts. $416. Seller has offered to pay for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds a great seller!

Lord makes some of the best - ever, but this is actually not a very demanding application.

Closed-cell Neoprene or even recycled tire cord work OK, too.

I'm sure it probably would but would prefer to use what was originally on the machine.

Though differently laid out, the Reeves drive system in the Rivett has much of the same mechanical aspects of the drive system in the Moore jigborer of the same time period. I have not come across other Reeves variable speed drives that equal that quality, or durability.
I went with another brand lathe because of availability, noting that, I haven't seen this model Rivett with a serial number over 500.
It seems in recent times. clean examples of the machines have shown up, 20yrs ago few if any were to be found.

Great score! I must say that I'm all for being patriotic but damn, not my cup of tea there... Looks like it even pissed the dog off.

A few more questions on this Rivett...

1. In reading other posts I’m of the understanding that the idler behind cover 1 on the headstock of the lathe is used to adjust the belt tension. Will it relieve enough tension to actually get the belts off?

2. Another post mentioned that the drive plate had 2 V brackets on the bottom to facilitate sliding it out. How can it possibly be slid out with the Lord Chan-L-Mounts in the way? Mine doesn’t have the V but has to pieces of angle attached to the bottom.

Back