What's new
What's new

Rivett 1020S question

Carneye

Plastic
We have moved to Atlanta to be closer to family. Unfortunately means we are in a apartment for the foreseeable future.

I had to put the 1020S in storage so I am getting ready to sell it. I have seen wild swings in asking prices for the few I can find that have been listed for sale. But it’s hard to tell what they actually sold for or why. Does anyone have a feel for this? Any suggestions on best places to list for sale(here, eBay, Craigslist, auction, etc)? Mine Is in good condition. It has 3&4 jaw chucks, taper attachment, tail stock, etc.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,

Vince

Any pictures?
Does it run an d everything work?
How much slack in the dials and wear on the bed?

It would be hard for me , to sell a nice lathe like that ...

Hal

There is one for up for auction on west coast
Rivett Model 1020S Lathe with Collets and Chucks - NOT TESTED - govdeals.com

Prices are all over the board. Condition is all over the board. Same as it ever was. I would be hard pressed to buy one unless it was local and checked out very well.. too old and too much to be wrong too exotic. If I was looking for a lathe like that a 10ee would tempt me more due to better parts/spares situation. The short bed on all those super precision lathes is a deal killer for me.. and I'm not making rockets.. not that many existing examples are up to it anyways.

I’ll post some pics soon. Everything runs perfect. I haven’t indicated the bed but no obvious wear. I think the wear would be In tenths, not thousandths. But that’s my guess, not necessarily fact. From what I know, It was used very little in a lab at my old employer US Steel. Never used in a production environment. So I would think as far as condition it’s as close to perfect as you can get. Even I look like a machinist running it because it cuts so good 😊

It’s definitely hard to sell . But I already sold my old mustang. So if I can survive that I can survive this:)

I’ll send some pics soon.

I can understand local. It’s 4000 lbs, not easy to move! I got the lathe for basically free, so I couldn’t complain about the bed length. It turned out to not be an issue for me as I have mainly done small stuff on it. I have only turned one longer job and was able to get by using the steady rest.

I was blessed to get one that worked perfectly. But if you have one with a lot wrong, it’s definitely going to be harder to find parts!

Yup, I would have jumped all over that! Good luck.

I'm starting to look for a second lathe and prices seem pretty damn steep.

You got the lathe for free and now you're worried about what to sell it for ?
I've got over $10,000 invested in mine I've been trying to sell it for years.
Not big enough for the real shops and too big for the home shops.
I'll end up giving it away.
I'm considering putting it on eBay for $1 starting bid.
If I'm lucky I'll get $500.

I know of 2 known sales of 1020S lathes that were both around $2500 (one a little less). That doesn't set the market, but both were in the last year. I've been wanting to buy one of these for the past few years, but I see asking prices 2 to 4 times known sales prices, and I don't even inquire.

Now,given the state of affairs in the country, is not a great time to be driving half way across the country to buy a machine. That effects the sale price, as it eliminates guys like me who, in the past, have driven 2000 plus miles for the "right" machine.

That one went for a good price. Looks like maybe the best bet is to put it in an auction somewhere.

You are in Alabama, your lathe wouldn't happen to be the one that was in Cartersville, Ga. 10 years ago? Painted green if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Maust ,yes a friend is looking for a 10x20 and made a bid on it but sounds like it was a flakey seller.If anyone on the forum is going to sell he is a serious buyer.

Back