What's new
What's new

Rivett 1020S - Removing the Feed Rod

TravisR100

Cast Iron
My feed rod shaft is bent. Is there any particular trick to taking it out before I get started?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have to remove the casting on the right end of the bed that houses the shaft bearings.
Then engage the power feed clutch lever and turn the hand wheel to the right and it will pull the feed rod out of the gearbox.
I believe that shaft is a little bit into the level of oil in the gearbox so you should drain or at least remove some. I didn't and had about a gallon on the floor after it worked it's way through the base.

You have to remove the casting on the right end of the bed that houses the shaft bearings.
Then engage the power feed clutch lever and turn the hand wheel to the right and it will pull the feed rod out of the gearbox.
I believe that shaft is a little bit into the level of oil in the gearbox so you should drain or at least remove some. I didn't and had about a gallon on the floor after it worked it's way through the base.

The entire casting with the data plate or the round casting cover plate that I’ve removed the 3 screws from in this picture?

fd97793f61fc859eb6c36ffa34675e89.jpg

If you mean just the round casting with the 3 screws, then I would also first need to remove the similar cover on the other side shown below, correct?

26372386aee4d92253075d217028345e.jpg

It's been awhile so I'm not sure.
Remove the covers first then you will see if the bearings will push out to the right.
Removing the whole casting is no big deal. The wires for the carriage stop feed through it to the control panel. Take of the data plate and you will see the micro switches.

It's been awhile so I'm not sure.
Remove the covers first then you will see if the bearings will push out to the right.
Removing the whole casting is no big deal. The wires for the carriage stop feed through it to the control panel. Take of the data plate and you will see the micro switches.

Getting the covers off is what I’m working on now. The one on the back is pretty well seated and I’m trying not to bugger anything up getting it off.

I don’t THINK mine will have the switch or the wiring behind the plate. I believe mine came from the factory without the stop rod as you can see what looks to be a factory cover below the feed rod. I also believe from looking at the wiring diagrams that mine is missing the two additional contactors in the electrical panel that would indicate wiring for the stop rod.

That's probably a good thing. I've never used mine. Don't trust it. I think they were just trying to keep up with Monarch's leadscrew reverse system.

Here's a photo of my casting that holds the rod bearings. Not broken but had a big void in the casting that they filled with filler. Even back then they were trying to save money and just prettied this one up instead of paying to have it recast.
DSCN1208.jpg

Yes, my mistake. I had inferred that you physically couldn't get it out of the machine, not that you just wanted removal tips.

John

Considerable progress. I got the end cap removed and found a bearing lock nut, some kind of spider with tines that bend over the key ways in the bearing lock nut, a spacer, and a tapered roller bearing. Matching taper roller bearing on the other side. Obvious that this shaft wasn’t going to slide out without removing the entire large casting at the tail of the lathe.

Did that now I’m working back at the front end of the shaft. Have to figure out how to remove this snap ring/circlip.

6c2251d453e9b580e8130a660fc78ee2.jpg

Easy enough. Got the snap rings off both sides and released the cover piece from the shaft. Now I’m really puzzled.

5d74c846fb0a628dbb429bfc8b75b8a2.jpg

3deb559dbaf7a995585eb1864762ee56.jpg

From the overview shot in the first pic above you can see that I’ve about got it out. I just need to slide the shaft through the apron and out the right side toward the tail. The problem is in the second picture.

This little section at the front of the shaft almost seems like it’s part of the shaft. It can’t be. They’d have had to machine all that extra material from the shaft. Can’t see how this “collar” is held on there. No keys. No visible way to see how its on there.

Not an option to slide the shaft to the left as it runs into the gearbox.

If I remember correctly I pulled the apron off the saddle with leadscrew and feed rod attached.
Not sure if you remove the tailstock that you can move the saddle far enough to the right.

Back