What's new
What's new

Rivett 1020S - Spindle not 6R?

TravisR100

Cast Iron
I’m still working through getting the Rivett set up. I’m puzzled by an issue with the collets/spindle. I have an L0 taper spindle and I assume a bore made to take 6R collets. The problem is the collets won’t seat all the way.

9943986c3f7b48cb3ca41b2d5d952822.jpg

fd573358799ddf71ca9165b8dca17aca.jpg

42f71b58cf4feb036a6561883db4591b.jpg

The taper portion of the spindle only extends inward about .708”.

6a9f81485b09f1c5cc75ccac66a9cfae.jpg

But the taper portion of the collet as shown above is obviously longer.

The opening at the end of the spindle is about 1.672 and the end of the collet measures 1.670. Seems right.

According to this site:

http://www.deprecision.com/RivettLathe.com/RIVETT COLLET INFORMATION.html

The head length should be 27/32” on a 6R collet. But mine measure about .961”.

Video below may help.

YouTube

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upon further inspection of the collets (and plainly visible right at the beginning of the video) the taper on the heads doesn’t extend all the way to the end of the collet. The tapered section is about .760 long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Travis, The collet in the foreground is a 3mt adapter, then a Rivett 6R collet in the middle and then a Hardinge 6H collet at the rear.
They all have the same taper angle. The 3mt has a straight portion extending its length out of the spindle.
The Hardinge 6H has a shorter taper length but everything else is the same.
I prefer the Hardinge collets over the Rivett.
All your dimensions are the same as mine.DSCN0130.jpgDSCN0127.jpgDSCN0128.jpgDSCN0129.jpg

Balas also made a 6H collet with a flat face.
I believe that Balas made the Rivett collets because some of my Rivett stamped collets are also stamped Balas and they are identical to the only Rivett stamped collets.DSCN0131.jpg

I see by looking at a collet I have that it doesn't have the flat section at the end.

But the big question is what's keeping the collets and the adapter from seating properly in the spindle. Greg, what's the distance from the front of your spindle nose to where the taper ends in the spindle?

It's about .700.
There should be a key in the spindle that the slot in the collet engages.
Unless it was sheared off or just removed to gain more through spindle capacity.

Hmm. That’s the same as mine. I just can’t figure what’s keeping it from seating. I can’t visibly see anything in the way. The video in my first post shows the problem.

I do indeed have a key in the spindle nose. No clue how it’s attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just watched the video.
Strange. Maybe try tapping it in with a rubber mallet.
Make sure you have a rod that you can use to knock it out from the other end.
Could the end of the collets slot be bottoming out on the key ?

Turn a piece of brass or soft steel the diameter of the straight portion minus a few thousandths, and then slot it for the key. See if you can push it all the way in to where it equivalently should be. I agree that the key is somehow the issue.

I just watched the video.
Strange. Maybe try tapping it in with a rubber mallet.
Make sure you have a rod that you can use to knock it out from the other end.
Could the end of the collets slot be bottoming out on the key ?

Based on measurements I’ve taken, no. The cooler is going about a half inch into the key. And should have plenty of room to go further.

In the video you can see me rotating the collet and getting the key engaged then pushing about 1/2” from there.

The rubber mallet is my next step. I’m waiting for a 1.375 pipe I ordered so I can knock it back out from the other end.

Turn a piece of brass or soft steel the diameter of the straight portion minus a few thousandths, and then slot it for the key. See if you can push it all the way in to where it equivalently should be. I agree that the key is somehow the issue.

I too think it has something to do with the key just not sure what. When I get the pipe I’m going to slot it slightly wider than the key and see how far it will go in.

Back