Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldCar View Post
    Whoop de flipping doodle doo!

Talk about winning the lottery!

I am lucky Adh2000 helped me out , by unloading and storing the machine. I had no place to keep it and no forklift / lifting equipment. On the lookout for a warehouse, with 3 phase, for my machinery, got some leads that am gona check out soon. This is last week of college.

Have my machines stored at my sister's garage, but she wants the garage. B-in-law got annoyed several months back and threw away my really nice Cincinnati no #2 tool and cutter grinder, which I hauled from Ohio. Still got all the accessories and tooling for it though.

2. Likes TheOldCar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Strictly inch threading, although if you can find transposing gears (I've never seen them even listed for sale) you can swap them in and do metric threading.

The accumulator dial is counting fractions of an inch on diameter, not transposing to metric. Probably you could find a way to make a new dial and transposing gear to make it read metric; this is what some Hardinge and Monarch lathes do. Much easier and more effective to fit a DRO though (said by the person who's Rivett still doesn't have a DRO). I often work in fractions but I find the fractional accumulator dial very confusing so I don't use it.

Looks like a really nice machine and the price is damn good, well done. I'm jealous of the camlock spindle you got. Also for what it's worth, looks like your machine has been repainted at some point; the compound was not originally painted, nor was the carriage or tailstock handwheel. But they did a better job than I would've done.

Enjoy the machine and report back whenever you get to use it.

4. Likes Spud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

6. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Halcohead View Post
    Strictly inch threading, although if you can find transposing gears (I've never seen them even listed for sale) you can swap them in and do metric threading.

The accumulator dial is counting fractions of an inch on diameter, not transposing to metric. Probably you could find a way to make a new dial and transposing gear to make it read metric; this is what some Hardinge and Monarch lathes do. Much easier and more effective to fit a DRO though (said by the person who's Rivett still doesn't have a DRO). I often work in fractions but I find the fractional accumulator dial very confusing so I don't use it.

Looks like a really nice machine and the price is damn good, well done. I'm jealous of the camlock spindle you got. Also for what it's worth, looks like your machine has been repainted at some point; the compound was not originally painted, nor was the carriage or tailstock handwheel. But they did a better job than I would've done.

Enjoy the machine and report back whenever you get to use it.
    Oh I am definitely fitting a DRO . Almost exclusively using a DRO at trade school, and throughly spoilt by it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    Questions:
    Does this machine have both inch and metric threading ?
    Yes. Do you have all the needfuls to USE that capability? Not enough information.

Are divisions on the dial closest to the handcrank in mm / cm ?
    ?? Just put appropriate metrology on it, crank a division or several and tell us.

DRO is the only sane way to go IF you work in Metric, even if you do not need to do any threading in either tribe.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As others have said, that dial is only imperial, not metric. It reads thousandths of an inch of diameter. Very nice deal you got there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Happy for you.

11. Likes Spud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TravisR100 View Post
    As others have said, that dial is only imperial, not metric. It reads thousandths of an inch of diameter. Very nice deal you got there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That means the backlash on the x-axis is 0.004" or 0.005" ..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Supposedly someone had change for their Rivett. If you really want the change gears, the drawing for them are out there.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dream is to have a history & fine art museum, offering lectures etc. Hire speakers to talk about everything from the Atomic Age to the local town history.

I would definitely have that lathe in the museum, with a descriptive plaque next to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Really well done. I'm in Wis too and meant to throw 1K on a bid but forgot until it just closed. Glad you will give it a good home. Dave

16. Likes Spud liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldCar View Post
    My dream is to have a history & fine art museum, offering lectures etc. Hire speakers to talk about everything from the Atomic Age to the local town history.
    Just what part of that is it that I have not already covered, "Right here, on PM"???

Oh.. the goat roast.

Spud?

When you get a deal like this one, you are meant to host an Argentine-style goat roast to celebrate. We can bring our own beer and wine?

18. Likes Spud liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wish I had only spent that on my 10ee than then sucked up another 3 or 4 grand...

I can make the 127 tooth gear if you need one. Nice that the plaque tells you what the metric threads are.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Just what part of that is it that I have not already covered, "Right here, on PM"???

Oh.. the goat roast.

Spud?

When you get a deal like this one, you are meant to host an Argentine-style goat roast to celebrate. We can bring our own beer and wine?
    That is why none of you guys better die before I get the museum open!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckerkumm View Post
    Really well done. I'm in Wis too and meant to throw 1K on a bid but forgot until it just closed. Glad you will give it a good home. Dave

I've missed out on great deals because I either forgot the auction day/time or dozed off while waiting for a specific lot to show up.

The auctioneer called me up the next day asking if I was getting the machine , because if I decided not to there was someone who was interested in it . Per the auctioneer someone was planning to bid on machine by forgot the date.

Always wanted one of these, as they seemed to be the coolest looking and stoutest lathe in its class , that was made in the US. Hoping once I get a place to set up my machines, I can get my nephew interested in machinining and show him how to use this machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh.. the goat roast.

Spud?

Got to stay atleast 6.5 ' apart. Oh and make sure you all are downwind of me at all times

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    Got to stay atleast 6.5 ' apart. Oh and make sure you all are downwind of me at all times
    Meahhh.. You wouldn't go all offendalista we adopted the old coroner's trick and puts Vicks Vapo Rub in our moustaches?

Love in the time of cholera, goat roast in the time of Covid.. At allegedly 60% of all red meat mankind consumes, goat is more readily available than most Americans realize.

We could just do it PM-style. As a virtual event, over the wire.

Cretan recipe here. Taste should be simiar to the Argentine open-air whole-goat BBQ flavour off the back of the simplicity of it:

Greek slow roasted goat (or lamb) leg

I may modity this to my usual Scotch bonnet & Ghost pepper "Birmingham Phaal" hot.

A Taste Of India… Goat Vindaloo | Gourmet De-Constructed

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like it has the optional D1 spindle mount ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spud?

Spuds has his own beer line

80s Commercial | Spuds McKenzie | Bud Light | Lela Rochon | beer | 1987 - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was watching for a Rivett when my Smart brown 1024 showed up. It will be a good machine but motor issues are not cheap to deal with.Keep me in the loop as to how it turns out. Dave