What's new
What's new

Rivett 1020S up for auction

And here I was getting ready to put my 1020s on eBay for a 99 cent starting bid but now I think I should raise the starting bid to 5 bucks !

And the tailstock is different from others.
The casting forms a "shield" on the operators side of the clamping nut.
You'd have to reach around the back with the wrench.

Seems odd in an otherwise well thought out lathe to have the tailstock clamp ‘way back there’. Never had the pleasure of running a Rivett. Is the tailstock clamp awkward in use?

L7

In that it's not a quick acting lever it is. Can't quickly loosen it to withdraw a drill chuck to clear chips. Have to have wrench nearby to loosen and tighten the clamp. The hand wheel is in the way to make keeping the wrench on the nut possible. Even if you bent the wrench it would hit the sides of the tailstock.

My 1030F has the newer tailstock pattern and I leave the wrench on the tailstock lock nut. It works fine and is similar to a quick release, about as good as a Monarch 10ee lever. You have to reach over the tailstock to lock/unlock it but this doesn’t bother me.

I did have to remove the coolant hose mount on the carriage however because it interferes with the tailstock locking wrench. This is fine for me since I don’t use coolant.

My biggest beef with Rivetts is the lack of carriage feed reverse on the apron. I shouldn’t have to stop the spindle to change feed direction.

I like Rivett better than a 10ee for gearbox shifts. I prefer the 10ee’s power feed levers to a rivett.

Just a few musings. This auction machine looks pretty nice, someone should be quite happy.

I agree that the carriage feed direction sucks in having to stop the spindle to change.
And the open belt back gear selector on the headstock is difficult if you have arthritic or oily hands.
But later they did add wings to that knob.
It's just not a very user friendly lathe.

Very curious myself. Ended before I got a chance to look. I know someone here had their eyes on it because he sent me an email unhappy that I posted the link to the auction here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two dozen or more duplicate R6 collets. Hoping to swap collet for collet to make a full set. If anyone has duplicate R6 collets and is missing a size or two let me know.
Otherwise I’ll ID grind my undersized duplicates to complete my collet set.
[email protected]

I got the lathe. Surprised no one bid higher. I was in my machining program class when I bid on it, and soon after clicking the bid button I thought to myself "oh shit" why did I bid, how am I going to drive up to Michigan and pick it up since I have school everyday and as I look after my elderly mom I try to avoid going out. Was hoping someone would outbid me.

Was innitially going to use my Silveradio 2500HD but the payload on my truck is only 2000lbs. So rented a F550 stakebed . Best decision I made, as a stakebed makes loading and unloading easy, plus the F550 has a payload of 10k - 12K and the dual rear wheels makes it safer transporting a top heavy machine.

Have lusted after a 1020s since the late 2000s. Finally got one. This one is a keeper for sure, as I don't have an engine lathe in this size. Only other engine lathe I have is my Monarch series 71 (last version of the 1000ee), which weighs around 9K- 9500lbs with the electrical cabinet.

Ok back to the Rivett. PM member adh2000 helped unload. I don't know anything about Rivetts. Adh2000 said the ways on mine look good. I did a light cleaning as machine was covered in thick layer of grease/oil. Machine has the optional accumilator dial. It also comes with taper turning . This is a 220volt 3 phase machine.

Questions:
Does this machine have both inch and metric threading ?
Are divisions on the dial closest to the handcrank in mm / cm ? The backlash on that is 4 or 5 marks / divisions.

RIVETT-3.jpg

Rivett5.jpg

Rivett6.jpg

Rivett7.jpg

Rivett8.jpg

Rivett9.jpg

Rivett11.jpg

Looking good Spud! Looks a lot better cleaned up. I think that must be an inch machine, no metric ability without transposing gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back