What's new
What's new

Rivett 220s

stan martin

Aluminum
I have a 220s lathe. It is complete, except for the collet closer, handle and attaching parts, are missing. Anyone out there know of a machine that is being used for parts that my have what I need? Thanks, Stan

Not all the 1020’s came with the collet closer. Do you have evidence that it came with one?

If all else fails, you can likely adapt a royal closer to your lathe.

You are probably right. My lathe was never designed for a hand collet closer. It has a black hand wheel that is for the initial closing of the collet. I need to find out why the hand wheel does nothing but free wheel. Then on the back side where the hand wheel is it has a place for a big spanner wrench to draw the collet closed. To the left of the tachometer is a shaft that pushes in to lock the spindle from turning while tightening the collet. I was trying to find something not made for my lathe. I don't know the year of my lathe it has 1-18-5, and the serial number is 147. Maybe if it's a early one maybe they didn't come with hand closers? Stan

That is an early one.
They got rid of the spindle lock because they found out that pushing it in when the spindle is running is not good.
Mine has the machined flat where the hole would be drilled but is unfinished. Instead they just say to put the lathe in back gear to tighten the collets.
Have you looked inside the headstock ? The early ones had drilled out gears.

When you say the early ones had drilled out gears. What is drilled out gears? I know why they removed the push in spindle lock. Mine had the end of the shaft where in engages the gear notch inside was all chewed up. From some some in a hurry. I am sure it made a racket. The shop I worked out of had very top of the line machines. A noise like that would have brought the shop supervisor out of his office in a hurry. Stan

Back