What's new
What's new

Round Dial 10ee cross slide wiper covers

Crazymonkey

Plastic
I’m in the process of refinishing a 42 10ee and have a few questions about the cross slide wiper covers.

My front cover is broken, so I will need to make or buy a new one. Does anyone have detailed pictures of one? Also, why and how do these break?

Next question is about the rear of the cross slide. Is there suppose to be a wiper and cover back here too? Is it the same as the front one? Also, what do the spring loaded pieces do? I tried to find a picture, but didn’t have any luck. I do not have a taper attachment if that matters.

I have included pictures below of what I’m working with, and also the progress on the refinishing.
96c7c51484c2f1edb5a7509af21359b0.jpg

fb7154c910e6add6d1e75723378089e8.jpg

ffac1062513dc7acf0cc3ce957a5e00b.jpg

PS: Looking for 10ee round dial upper left headstock cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! The color is rock moss green.
And I don’t plan on scraping it now, but it’s in the back of my mind for the future

I’m in the process of refinishing a 42 10ee and have a few questions about the cross slide wiper covers.

My front cover is broken, so I will need to make or buy a new one. Does anyone have detailed pictures of one? Also, why and how do these break?

Next question is about the rear of the cross slide. Is there suppose to be a wiper and cover back here too? Is it the same as the front one? Also, what do the spring loaded pieces do? I tried to find a picture, but didn’t have any luck. I do not have a taper attachment if that matters.

I have included pictures below of what I’m working with, and also the progress on the refinishing.

PS: Looking for 10ee round dial upper left headstock cover

Your head stock cover will be hard to find.....

the front way wiper holder is thin cast iron and breaks easily. Mine was broken and repaired.

The rear cover is a tin piece easy to reproduce and slips down on the spring loaded buttons.

Pictures are not hard to find....let me know if you need some I will email them over.

Where in Texas are you?

DO you have any before pictures? What prep did you have to do?

I have one that was painted a god awful blue, over many coats of bad paint, with a brush, by a blind man.... Need I say more?

Your head stock cover will be hard to find.....

the front way wiper holder is thin cast iron and breaks easily. Mine was broken and repaired.

The rear cover is a tin piece easy to reproduce and slips down on the spring loaded buttons.

Pictures are not hard to find....let me know if you need some I will email them over.

Tell me about it, I’ve been trying to find one for about a year now... my friend has a round dial as well with that cover, so I might end up sand casting one based off his original.

So the rear doesn’t have a felt wiper? Just the tin strip? Would you mind sending over a photo? People don’t seem to take many pictures of the back of machines.

Where in Texas are you?

DO you have any before pictures? What prep did you have to do?

I have one that was painted a god awful blue, over many coats of bad paint, with a brush, by a blind man.... Need I say more?

I’m in San Antonio, picked the lathe up in Houston about a year ago now.

When I got the lathe, the headstock was already striped to bare metal, so I stripped the rest with paint stripper/needle scaler. Then I smoothed it out a little with body filler and painted with Sherwin Williams Pro Industrial Urethane Alkyd Enamel.

I’m finished with the apron and a few other parts, but still have a lot left to do.

4284368b02125a0879280da0f69cd3b0.jpg
eb1f1c2dc62d4b043a87b1ce8af046ad.jpg
14134ea4ded5cda70d0928517dad84f4.jpg
502726f0f19ce96f00dc0a6370e6cd24.jpg
a16aee7121c36ec5825184e33ee81339.jpg
d61fa200f3f8d5657cfa9234dd9522c1.jpg

I'm really liking all the brass badges.

I hear folks talk about the "brass era" 10ee's. What does the world know about the usage of brass on the badges and the grand brass era?

I have a SN 19377 Dated 5-43 and the only badge that is brass is the one for the round dial quick change gearbox.

I'm assuming it was all related to available and shortages during the war years.

Brian

I'm really liking all the brass badges.

I hear folks talk about the "brass era" 10ee's. What does the world know about the usage of brass on the badges and the grand brass era?

I have a SN 19377 Dated 5-43 and the only badge that is brass is the one for the round dial quick change gearbox.

I'm assuming it was all related to available and shortages during the war years.

Brian

I read somewhere on this forum that they phased out the brass tags around the middle of 43, which lines up with your middle 43 10ee only having one brass tag. I believe the brass was only used for 1.5-2 years.

I’m sure Cal or some of the more active members will have a more accurate answer for you though

Back