What's new
What's new

round-dial 10EE end gear bearings: info for reference

focusrsh

Aluminum
I've been refurbishing a 1042 10EE, and learned something about the bearings in the back gear section. I'd thought I'd pass this along for reference.

There two gears that are on adjustable bases. (One shown here for example.)

IMG_6340.jpg

The original bearings are New Departure C487505V, where the C prefix means a metal shield and the V suffix means it has a snap ring. These are appear at first glance to be 52mm OD, 25mm ID, 15mm thick ball bearing, but they aren't. The actual thickness is 15.875mm. That extra .875mm (.0344") makes a difference. The length of the arbor is such that with the original bearings, there is minimal endplay when the cap is screwed on the end. If you use 15mm thick bearings, there is 2 x .034, or about 1/16" endplay and the gear won't be centered on the other gears.

I wasn't able to find a replacement for the original bearings. The only bearing I found with the correct width didn't have the snap ring. So I went with Timken replacements that are 15mm thick and spaced them away from the gear, using some .032" stock under the snap ring, and used Loctite to secure.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 87505 has the outer race protruding on the back with a shield, and the inner race protruding on the front with a felt seal. The 87 indicates that style. The 4 designates a snap ring. The C indicates that the felt seal is an oil slinger type, and the V indicates that the snap ring is on the opposite side as normal.

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 10.53.24 AM.jpg

These New Departure 87505s don't have the snap ring, but at least they are the proper bearing. Could easily be loctited in the proper position.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=new+departure+87505&_sacat=0

Not really a problem to cut your own snap ring groove....Have done this multi times for different applications....
Ball and roller bearing races are machinable using carbide....

Cheers Ross

Just to avoid confusion, we're actually talking about the end gear bearings. The "back gear" is the 6:1 speed reducer coupled to the spindle motor. If you're looking for the correct name for a particular item, you can go to the parts pictures and parts lists in the round-dial manual.

15.875mm = .625", so apparently these are nominally 5/8" thick. I've seen bearings with a mixture of SAE and metric dimensions before.

McMaster-Carr has 0.032" shim washers in a variety of materials: link

Cal

I was also unable to source these bearings with the snap ring groove. I put a good bit of effort into sourcing them as well.

I considered cutting my own snap ring groove, but in the end I took out the shields on the inside of the OEM bearing pair and cleaned out the old nasty grease and put them back to work.

While I replaced all the New Departure bearings in my lathe with original New Departures from LocateBB on ebay, except this particular one, (save the front spindle pair - different posts for that story) I was lucky in that my idler bearing was still good, so I didn't need to replace it. Of all the ND bearings I bought from LocateBB all were good except the 88505s they sent me. All of their 88505s had solidified grease. I had to get another brand for those, but everything else in the entire lathe, New Departure.

When you consider the headstock, threading gearbox, apron, ELSR box, lots of bearings. My wife started to joke that I was personal friends with the LocateBB staff.

Back