What's new
What's new

Round-dial 10EE end-gear lubrication

focusrsh

Aluminum
I searched the Monarch 10EE lubrication manual and the user's manual, and here too, but I don't find any information about lubrication of the back gears. It is hard to believe the gear teeth run dry. Are you suppose to drip on a bit of the same oil as used in the transmission?

Last edited by a moderator:
Focus, do you mean the back gears or end gears? I was talking about the back gear reducer hooked to the main motor.

Good question/good point since we know from focusrsh's other post this is a round dial machine so the end gears are open.

FWIW the manual that came with my 1977 10EE indicates ISO 46 for the "speed reducing unit" (Monarch's "official" name for the 10EE's analogue of a backgear).

David

I use open gear lube on mine. In a pinch I would use chain lube. A single tin of open gear spray lube would probably last the lathe (or the operator) a lifetime.

I'm talking about these exposed gears, not the speed reducer.

IMG_6106.jpg

OK, I'll find some of the KEL open gear lube as recommended by "rustytool".

Cal pointed out that those gears are called end gears, helps folks give more relevant answers.

All gear hobbers have multiple open gear sets, not to mention all South Bend lathes, that are running much longer and at much higher loads and RPM than the Monarch low speed threading gears, and 60-70 years later those machines are still running strong.

Probably two drops of oil on one of the gears will work its way around all the gear teeth and provide protection for many, many thread cutting operations.

Back