What's new
What's new

Round Dial 10ee Spindle Clutch Gear Assemblies

Crazymonkey

Plastic
Hey guys, I’m in the middle of a headstock rebuild and have found that my rear spindle clutch gear assembly is in pretty bad shape. The surfaces between the bushing (EE-2003) and the gear (EE-2110) must not of gotten proper lubrication along the years and started galling. The front assembly shows wear as well, but not as bad, it may be salvageable.

Does anyone have these parts stashed away and would be willing to part with them?

b9047bca3b7bfc9d389d4e7dd45ac263.jpg
5f9a1d24be12d987bebf5720b2e30e70.jpg
8cf99f48ff7496f3e63c6efd899379fa.jpg
36cd61ef2e087f5d7058de21c02eaecf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you check with 'rim canyon' ? he might have those parts:

Monarch 10EE parts for Sale

Even though those parts look pretty rough, I'd use some god crocus cloth 'sand paper' and clean up the roughness, then put together. Then measure the amount of play. Since you will be figuring out the lubrication problems, you should not find any additional wear.
Since the parts are likely to be very hard, as long as you have restored proper lubrication, and as long as there is not any horrible play or binding, I'd put them back to use. BUT make sure the oil in the headstock is not full of metal grindings or other metallic swarf. You must protect contaminating the very expensive spindle bearings.

Dualvalve

Did you check with 'rim canyon' ? he might have those parts:

Monarch 10EE parts for Sale

Even though those parts look pretty rough, I'd use some god crocus cloth 'sand paper' and clean up the roughness, then put together. Then measure the amount of play. Since you will be figuring out the lubrication problems, you should not find any additional wear.
Since the parts are likely to be very hard, as long as you have restored proper lubrication, and as long as there is not any horrible play or binding, I'd put them back to use. BUT make sure the oil in the headstock is not full of metal grindings or other metallic swarf. You must protect contaminating the very expensive spindle bearings.

Dualvalve

Good call! He had the correct parts from a 43 round dial and they are in the mail! I'm hoping they fit nicely and aren't a custom fit for each machine or something.

Now I have to wonder how these got damaged in the first place, I assume someone was threading at high spindle speeds for an extended amount of time? And since the Round dials don't have the best lubrication to that rear gear/bushing, it overheated and caused the wear/galling. Has anyone else come across this much wear before?

I am debating making an oil reservoir above the tachometer gear and routing copper tubes to those bushings like the square dials have. Has anyone done this or have any comments on whether or not I should go this route?

Back