What's new
What's new

Round-dial 10EE spindle motor needed

I've got a 1942 round dial and my motor generator just failed. Broken winding. Anyone have a good one? I'm in Texas just outside of Austin.

Last edited by a moderator:
3hp DC Motor - I've attached an image from another thread but this is what I need.

I think my gearbox is still in good condition.

Monarch_10ee_Round_Dial.jpg

I honestly don't know where I would go to have it repaired.

I imagine shipping 2 ways might be cost prohibitive as well.

If I recall rightly you're in the Austin area. If so call Hamilton Electric Works and see if they can check the motor out. You never know, it might be simple. I had to work with my local motor shop until they checked it out with the shunt and series windings in and on a reduced field. Ask if they can deal with a compound wound motor, I'd bet they would be able to. If not try and find the shop that services elevator motors, they're very similar.

I'll check the motor I've got in the mezzanine and see if it's close. I think it's spline shaft.

There is wire damage. You can see the broken wire. Motor has no speed/power. Shooting some pretty massive sparks at the moment too :-(

IMG_2290_broken_wire.jpg
IMG_2291.jpg
IMG_2292.jpg

Last edited:
If that is the series field you can bypass them and the motor will run. From what you point out it is just a connecting wire that you can replace. I replied to your PM.

Well f**k's sake? it appears to have earned the right, given the evidence shows serious neglect! Filth in important places, looks to have been run with brush damage/excessive wear, maybe wrong brush material?, and off its proper timing.

I suspect it can be cleaned-up by even an "average" motor shop without need of a full rewind.

New leads, check windings from the outside, clean-up the commutator, see to the brush holders and their tampers, fit new brushes, TIME it. Lot of wear on the commutator, but still plenty more years left in it if but kept in good order.

They are legendary hard to destroy. Even when TRYING to do - destructive testing, guilty as charged.

Yeah I wish it was in better shape when I bought it. I've used it only a few hours and hadn't gotten around to tearing it down to clean it.

It's obviously had a hard life.

Having suffered a shorted armature and so much smoke so fast I thought I had caught the house on fire, I have experienced your pain. My issue was the armature, your picture makes it look like the broken wire is on one of the field coils. A PM member recently asked about new coils for your motor type and another member had them. If you only need one coil that member may have one extra between his original ones and the ones that were sent him. A coil would be $20 shipping, not the hundreds of a whole motor.

The seller on eBay doesn’t answer messages. I tried for months when my motor fried.

I would suggest taking the motor apart, cleaning everything up and then asking specific questions based on what you find. Good luck. Make sure to draw a diagram of how the brushes and field coils are wired as you disassemble.

Back