What's new
What's new

Round dial ELSR housing drawing

dinotom

Aluminum
I am about to reassemble my ELSR housing on my 1944 round dial. Upon inspection of the parts diagram in my manual, there are a LOT of small parts, most of which I do not see in my bag of parts from that dis-assembly. I bought another one from Ebay and also do not see a lot of the small springs, etc. I am contemplating sending all the parts back to Monarch to reassemble, but before I do was wondering if somewhere within this forum there is a drawing for how to reassemble this? My searching did not turn up anything.

The diagram is E-14 and the housing basically takes all the parts at the bottom half of the diagram picture.

Last edited:
As I've told you several times before, I don't think that you're missing anything (assuming that you haven't lost any parts). What you're missing is an understanding of how this switch works. I have tried several times to explain it to you:

Restoration of Monarch 10EE Serial#26080 Delivered on 11/2/1944 to Buick

10EE wiring Start-Stop switch bypassing ESLR

Your problem is that you have two basic misunderstandings. First, you think that there should be neutral switch that keeps the MG from starting unless the spindle control is stopped; there is NO NEUTRAL SWITCH, period (as explained in the second link). Second, you believe that the switch on the top of the headstock tombstone is intended to control the spindle; it is NOT, period.

I very much doubt that anyone working at Monarch today has ever worked on a round-dial 10EE, let alone the fairly rare round-dial ELSR option. You will end up paying them a lot of money to reassemble the unit when there are people here that will help you with that free of charge. All you have to do is listen to them.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but we have gone round and round on issue this several times. If you'll just set aside your preconceived ideas, we can get this thing working as designed.

Cal

Thank you for the responses.
Cal, I understand you loud and clear. I don’t have any preconceived notions about how the ELSR works, I defer to you all who know way more than I do about these things. What I do know, and was correct, was that the mechanism itself was not functioning properly from a mechanical point of view. I proved that when I took the top of it off and found the segment gear had three of its teeth shorn off. You can see Keith Rucker making me new segment gears (have a few spares now) on YouTube, just search for Monarch 10EE lathe segment gear. It’s a 4 part video series.

The point of asking for the diagram is simple; (and that is all I asked in the original post, if there was, in fact, any drawings within the forum) in the manual there are many parts, mostly springs listed there. Neither my original nor the unit I bought from EBay had any springs at all. (That unit came fully dis-assembled unfortunately)
They are obviously in Monarchs parts diagram for a reason, they are part of its functional design. Knowing where they belong would be an integral part of its rebuild. If I saw an exploded drawing of it I could easily figure out how to reassemble.

Again, all I was/am asking is; Is there an exploded view drawing of the round dial ELSR unit?

There are very few round-dial assembly drawing floating around and I am not aware one for the ELSR. As far as I know, Monarch didn't prepare exploded drawings of anything. The closest thing to that are the square-dial parts drawings.

Cal

In the drawing:

Spring 7 is the holding spring under screw 5 that keep dial 6 held in. You pull in the dial against the spring to select left and right direction for the leadscrew.
Spring 9 holds in the detent for the stop-rod 17
Spring 14 is obviously the detent spring for rod 16
Spring 28 holds in the friction pin 29 for the interlock plunger 37 that pokes out the front of the housing and prevents accidental operation of the fwd/rev control.
Spring 35 is the detent spring for the square cams 30 and 31
Spring 24 is the detent spring for the top lever 27

If you had none of thses springs, then electrically the mechanism would still work. The controls would just not positively locate in their positions.

Thank you, Peter. That is very helpful information. Once I begin reassembly, I am going to document it fully and try to have an exploded view drawing made up.

Back