What's new
What's new

Saddle oil questions

bmazin

Aluminum
Two questions on rehabbing the saddle oiling system on my square dial:
1) How do I get the oil pump out? I removed the retaining fixture and the threaded insert that comes in from the side, but it is not budging.
2) 3 of 5 oil lines are blocked up good. I managed to get a piece of music wire in to the dial oiler line but I’m not thrilled with where it came out (see pic) - is this oil line supposed to dump here or is the line rusted through?

699b691faf1194508c71f51714440b90.jpg
7fbbf51f2703697117515035508eeb7f.jpg

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far as I recall the oil pump should drop out with the removal of the 4 SHCS and the oil line.

10ee_apron_pump.gif

That wire is coming out at the right place but isn't starting - it should be running from the manifold under the saddle. Looks like you get to fish a bunch of copper through the saddle. It's easier than it looks and if you search this forum you'll find plenty of folks who have gone through it. I'd replace all the meter units at the same time and do the pump filter as well.

Ok, I’ve ordered the 3/32” lines and ferrules to do the replacement. Have people had luck removing the bondo with heat or did you just chisel it out? How far down the cast in holes do the original lines go - close to the outlet, or just far enough for the bondo to keep it from flowing out the wrong way?

Mine were set in sulphur, and I recall using everything from a Dremel with a wire wheel to o-ring picks getting that crud. I set the new ones using latex caulk, didn't think of Bondo. All you really need there is something to seal the lines going out so that the oil can out go out where intended.

I thought the line to the dial and the feed line was a 5/32? Maybe I'm misremembering...

Mine were set in sulphur, and I recall using everything from a Dremel with a wire wheel to o-ring picks getting that crud. I set the new ones using latex caulk, didn't think of Bondo. All you really need there is something to seal the lines going out so that the oil can out go out where intended.

I thought the line to the dial and the feed line was a 5/32? Maybe I'm misremembering...

On mine the supply line and one of the output lines are 5/32", and all the others are 3/32". The 5/32" lines are still functional so I was thinking of leaving them in place.

Back