What's new
What's new

Scissiocontrols.com C16J Thyratron Replacement

John S01

Aluminum
I would like to say thanks to Tim Jones for his excellent work on the C16J thyratron replacement. For a very reasonable price I have replaced both of my tubes and my 10ee is working a lot better than I expected.

I will restrain myself from giving all of the credit to these parts because I think I had a weak tube and just having two good working thyratrons (or thyratron replacements) made a great improvement on my lathe. I have noticed much quieter operation, and the control of the speed is much finer. I can dial in 30 rpms if needed or all the way up to max speed and I can set the speed very precisely.

Couldn't be happier. Now to get rid of that noisy fan.

Yes, my replacements from Tim at Scissio Controls are working great. What are your plans for the fan? It does need some air flow for general cooling of the other thyratron and the braking resistors, correct?

I was just being cheeky about the noisy fans. Haven't done anything to them, but I might put a temperature probe in there and see what happens during a long session. Come to think of it, I'm not sure my braking resistors are working right, I think an infrared gun might be useful to figure that out over the holiday weekend.

Back