What's new
What's new

In search of sheaves

Kezorm

Plastic
Hopefully ok to post in here, figure better chances than in the generic commerce area.

Looking for a set of main drive sheaves for my 1943 10EE (s/n 18075). With Cal's help, I figured out that the machine was originally flat belt but the sheaves were modified at some point to fit a single v-belt. Unfortunately, I'm finding the conversion was a hack job and nothing runs true.

I'd love to get a set of dual v-belt sheaves if they could be easily adapted to the machine. I expect the spindle sheave will slide right on. Not sure if there's a 2 belt sheave that would drop right onto my backgear output? I know there were variations in the backgear assembly over the years. But also interested in if anyone has set of the original flat belt sheaves. Anything is probably better than what I currently have.

Greg

What RPM, 2500 or 4000? What is the diameter of the back gear spindle?

It's a 2500 RPM machine. I think diameter of the back gear output shaft is 45mm (I haven't pulled the hub off to get at shaft yet). Not sure what diameter original sheaves were.

Here's what's currently on the machine. Cal helped me figure out that the hubs are the original flat belt sheaves, cut down to mount the v-belt sheaves. Unfortunately, they don't run anywhere close to true. Don't know how anyone ever used this thing, maybe they never did. I could probably get them on another lathe and clean them up to run true, but I'd rather do it right.

ACtC-3fduIiFvXa79basWDLHDLnkY4KI3mBUR1mEA536yUSfcaXFLQNpFc-Tg4DkfzLCPm2zIGWpxsFqX44yzobY78y_HYnARm6NiUI2yGrCRysz8xRiRX5qPEL3gO3y5qmOXLukY7-OMiUiWsYBEAhS2rs=w2412-h3214-no

Shouldn’t be an issue to get “right” sheaves. If you can, stay away from that style you currently have. With those being 2 piece sheaves, it’s easier to introduce runout/vibration.

Keep in mind on the sheaves you need to stay away from the minimum diameter for the belt style. That also can introduce heat & vibration. A & AX will have a different minimum than B or BX. You can get variable pitch & dial in your diameters. Obviously the variable pitch will be more expensive than a run of the mill sheaves.

I have a pair of Monarch 2-sheave pulleys that fit your 2-speed gearbox and spindle. They did not come on the same machine, so I cannot predict your max RPM without knowing the max RPM of your DC motor & Drive. However, I suspect it would be close to 4000 RPM, so you might need a new tach. Monarch made a lot of different sized pulleys to account for different motor RPMs, drive types and nameplate RPM of the machine.

Gearbox pulley is 7 ⅛" dia., has a smooth 1.75" bore 1.25" long, recessed ½" on the back side and it has a .212" slot.

Spindle pulley is 5 ½" dia., has a 1.875" bore 3 5/16" long and a .25" slot.

BTW, almost every dimension on a 10EE is an exact fraction of an inch. There are a few metric shafts sized to fit bearings, but not many.

IMG_1290.jpgIMG_1291.jpgIMG_1292.jpg

Email me if you are interested. Price is $100 plus. shipping.

Back