Seeking 5hp Main Transformer
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm looking for the main armature transformer for a 5 hp 10 EE. It was labeled T5 in the 1967 schematic. It is a dual-primary (230 / 460 volts) and a center-tapped (600 volt) secondary.

If anyone has a source for one of these turkeys, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If that's the same monster that is from the Works in a Drawer lathe I've got a spare ('bout a foot wide and 2 feet long?). It's untested and cosmetically challenged, but we can deal with the first problem easily enough.

I'm unsure how it could be economically moved from New Mexico to your area, so maybe it's best to wait until you exhaust the local possibilities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glenn
    If it is in fact the one for the works in a drawer that rke mentioned, shoot me an e-mail.
    [email protected].
    Fred T

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can get one, in No. California. They are heavy (about 200Lbs), shipping will be your biggest cost. Two dumb questions. Why do you need one? I have not seen one burn up yet, they are one of the most robust parts of the lathe. Second question, are the 3HP and 5HP transformers different? They look the same, but I have not compared data plates.

Alex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to Monarch's service department, the anode transformers in the 5 HP machines are the same as the transformers in the 3 HP machines.

I asked because I have a '56 3 HP 10EE which came with a spare motor, a 5 HP, which had been removed from another 10EE which had been upgraded with a VFD.

Monarch stated that all you have to do when changing from 3 HP to 5 HP is to recalibrate the control unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alex et. al.:

My 10EE was converted to a Sabina system by General Dynamics sometime (in the '80s?). According to Sabina it requires "real" 3-phase power -- neither electronic nor rotary phase converters will work.

I've designed and built an SCR-based replacement for the C16J thyratrons and am proceeding to build a small replacement for the whole pile of electronics, relays, wierd potentiometers, current transformers, ... .

Alex: I'll contact you off-list. I'm in Seattle and when the weather gets better I can come and pick it up.

Glenn

[This message has been edited by Glenn Peterson (edited 02-13-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Glenn Peterson (edited 02-15-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to Sabina's docs, this is a true dc motor control which can do just about everything but eat.

Definitely requires a three-phase input. Not sure whether "true" three-phase is required, or not. My bet would be manufactured three-phase would be OK if the phase voltages were held to within 5 or 10 percent, under all conditions. Meaning a very "stiff" rotary phase converter likely could do the job.

Output is 240 volts dc for the armature and 120 volts dc for the shunt field, as one would expect for a replacement controller for a 10EE.

Lots of options are available, including dynamic braking. How the 10EE's unique "compensation" function could be simulated is open to speculation at this point. However, I-R drop compensation is an available option. A field loss relay, which is imperative in a "field weakening" system, such as the 10EE uses to achieve greater than "base speed", is available.

The basic 3 HP reversing model costs $1,062 while the basic 5 HP reversing model costs $1,589.

Less than the cost of a pair of C16Js.

Spec sheet page 1 ...

http://www.mc-w.com/images/catalog/sabina_dc/2447p1.jpg

Spec sheet page 2 ...

http://www.mc-w.com/images/catalog/s...dc/2447-P2.jpg

Contact ...

Sabina Products, 714-956-0480.

Usual disclaimers.

[This message has been edited by peterh5322 (edited 02-14-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glenn, Contact Susan Davis at [email protected]. She is in Sultan, Wa and has EE parts. That should put her within a short drive of you. Contact me off line if you are thinking of contacting her. [email protected] Mike