Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have to disagree.

A 'static' on anything much above 1 or mebbe 2 HP, max will just drive you to some other solution, sooner, if not later.

Not that hard to find a suitable idler and 'at least' have a rotary.

Good news is many static converters are already positioned to make the upgrade when an ilder comes available.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Have to disagree.

A 'static' on anything much above 1 or mebbe 2 HP, max will just drive you to some other solution, sooner, if not later.

Bill
    And you say that with what sort of experience with that solution. I'm what, 5 years at lest running my 1943 MG 10EE on a heavy duty static phase convertor. And I actually make chips with it every week. While it's a beautiful machine to behold, mine is not just a sculpture in my shop. It's a completely 100% functioning lathe.

Bob

4. Likes Cal Haines liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob49 View Post
    It's a completely 100% functioning lathe.
    "100%"?

Only if they have repealed the Laws of Physics on your Planet.

Otherwise, its about a 67% 'functional' lathe, and not the smoothest or most stable under load even as to relay and contact chatter, even so.

"Make chips'? Surely. So will a clapped-out 6 x 18 @las LSO on a 1/3 HP salvaged warshing machine motor.

A 10EE is worth doing 'right'.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

100% operational? Yes it is. The two generators that make the DC current to drive the spindle don't care about how much the 3 phase motor has to deal with as long as it puts out the correct rpm. And in my case, it does that just fine. So the spindle motor never knows the 3 phase motor is running on 2/3's of it's rated hp due to the static convertor. And as I've mentioned a few times before, in my case the exciter has been replaced with a solid state rectifier, so the hp demand on the 3 phase motor has been lessened. By how much, I don't know nor do I care. But the static phase convertor still worked fine before that change. The exciter decided to stop working at one point and I decided to replace it instead of spending money on it. I'm not a brilliant guy, but in my book, that was a brilliant move on my part.

Matter of fact, the exciter is now repaired, but will never go back into service. No need for it, it was replaced by a part that costs me a couple of bucks. New solid state part needs no grease, drive belt, brushes or anything else. Just a 120vac feed. It doesn't even need a cooling fan.

And another use for my lathe is as a rotary phase convertor that I run a 4hp belt grinder and a heavy 1 1/2 disk grinder with. Again, the lathe's mg just sits there and runs all the while I use these machines. One of which is nearly daily anymore. I'm sorry I'm not as up to speed on theories and electrical knowledge as some, I just have to try things to prove to myself what works and what doesn't. The static phase convertor works with a mg 10EE. Mine is absolutely stable, gives me incredible finishes if that's what I'm after, or takes big bites if I'm inclined, no chatter from any part in this old girl...ever. So what's not right about it?

I will say I could never get a static phase convertor to work with the 4 hp belt grinder. But i gave up before trying all the various models. That's why I had the convertor on hand to try on the 10EE. And it sat there until it dawned on me the 10EE could provide the electrical feed for it. Would the derated hp from a static convertor decline the operation of the belt grinder, most likely. But I never got to find out and never tried one on the disk grinder as I already had the 10EE pigtail out for that. Looking at that feed from the 10EE with a scope, I don't see it as true 3 phase. Those two other machines don't seem to care though.

Bob

7. Likes Cal Haines liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob49 View Post
    100% operational? Yes it is. The two generators that make the DC current to drive the spindle don't care about how much the 3 phase motor has to deal with as long as it puts out the correct rpm. And in my case, it does that just fine. So the spindle motor never knows the 3 phase motor is running on 2/3's of it's rated hp due to the static convertor.
    But it does 'know'. It is being run in a manner similar to a 3-P motor with a 'dropped phase'. Perhaps two 'half-dropped' phases, but either way - nowhere near optimal.

And there you are. That already-paid-for 'heavy duty' static converter, given 5 HP, 7+ HP, or 10 HP used 3-P motor as idler would be FAR the better performer, 10EE and all other loads in the shop.

Your shop. Your workload. Your rules.

'Rationalizing' 2/3 power as good enough doesn't help the NEXT guy make a clear decision for HIS needs.

Even if.. one were to DIY a static converter out of salvage // Hell Box parts, it isn't much of a savings in spend over a similarly DIY'ed-from-salvage RPC, either.

Bill

Disclosure: 10 HP Phase-Perfect, 10 HP Idler on Phase-Craft RPC controller, 10 KW 208-Wye Diesel gen set. And the 'seniour' of the two 10EE on boosted 1-P Parker-SSD solid state DC Drives anyway