What's new
What's new

Series 60 Power Compound Disassembled

TXNinAZ

Plastic
Hi all. I mostly post on Instagram and YouTube, but I'm betting this crowd would appreciate seeing this. My 1952 Series 60 has a Power Angular Feed for the compound and I needed to disassemble it for installing my new DRO. My lathe originally had dual power compounds, front and back. Each compound was controlled independently- you could power one or the other or both. Some previous owner removed the rear cross slide and compound along with the gearing and extra lead screw. Here are the guts.

Power Compound All Parts.jpg

Naked Carriage.jpg

Cross Feed Screw and Compound Feed Rod.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 8.11.48 PM.jpg

You got a nice little youtube channel going. Watching your clutch vids gave me a rough idea what I needed to do to get mine out.

Not sure if you are posting pics from a phone, but they are coming up pretty small on the site here. Post #7, #8, and a vid link in post #17 might help post better pics, from this thread:
1956 ... new toy

Thanks I'm trying to put in a sincere effort as I learn how to do this. I think I figured out the problem with the photos- I'm uploading them as PNG files and the site downsizes them to create JPGs. I'll upload as JPGs myself to keep them larger.

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_4482.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 8.11.48 PM.jpg

Pics look much nicer.

Interesting seeing the crossfeed screw off to the side.

Learning to use a power fed compound rest must be a trick and a half.

I see a Bijur style lube system mounted off the back of carriage. Is it lubricating the carriage ?

Pics look much nicer.

Interesting seeing the crossfeed screw off to the side.

Learning to use a power fed compound rest must be a trick and a half.

I see a Bijur style lube system mounted off the back of carriage. Is it lubricating the carriage ?

Yeah the crosfeed screw confused me the first time I peaked under the cover on the back- didn't make sense until I realized it had two compounds so the rear compound had it's screw on the left side. Using it is even better than I thought it would. Other than threading, I don't use the compound handle at all. Just engage the compound feed and use the cross slide wheel- it's pretty fantastic. The Bijur is feeding the carriage, yes. The rear two ports are disabled since there's nothing running on the back 12" of the carriage but one pump on that handle puts out a good layer of oil through 2 ports on either side. I got the compound gearing taken apart to clean the grease out of it and it never ceases to amaze me how well built these parts are- definitely not the cheapest way to do it.

Compound Parts Cleaned.jpg

Weird, I wonder what the difference is between the 60 and 61 series other than the gearbox? They always seemed otherwise the same.

The original series 60 the qcgb was open, i believe non rabid traverse apron was slightly different as well.

Gradual minor improvements like the closed qcgb with dial and such implemented into the early, and approaching mid 1950's. In the vicinty of 1955-1957, with it the updates mostly in place it became the series 61.

At least that's my understanding.

Back