What's new
What's new

Series 61 (1957) partial feed and threading problem

hawkfan9

Hot Rolled
My Monarch Series 61 toolroom lathe has a partial problem with feeds and threading. The lathe has the AB and CDE selector levers. Everything works just fine for threading and feeding when the AB is combined with either the C or D range of feeds and TPI. Problem is, when either is combined with the E range, which just so happens to be the most popular range of feeds (approx. .010 to .020) and TPI (6 to 16)that I would use. I don't thread often, but now I've got to do some 12 tpi threading, and I need to repair this.

Any guidance pointing me in the right direction of where to start figuring this out is appreciated. Something in the gearbox in the E range is not working/connecting.

Thanks for any help.

May or may not be related. My August '46 CW 16 "E" position OFTEN does not want to engage all the way - I have to lean on that lever until feed rod is turning

I would imagine this is related to a dirty dog clutch

John,

That was it! I pushed the CDE lever all the way past the "E" pretty hard, while free spinning the chuck with my right hand, and it engaged. Everything working now. Thank you. I would not have known to try that.

Any idea what a proper solution is to this problem? Sooner or later, my guess is it's going to get worse. The manual on this lathe, from Monarch, does not discuss these remedies at all.

May or may not be related. My August '46 CW 16 "E" position OFTEN does not want to engage all the way - I have to lean on that lever until feed rod is turning

John,

That was it! I pushed the CDE lever all the way past the "E" pretty hard, while free spinning the chuck with my right hand, and it engaged. Everything working now. Thank you. I would not have known to try that.

Any idea what a proper solution is to this problem? Sooner or later, my guess is it's going to get worse. The manual on this lathe, from Monarch, does not discuss these remedies at all.

Could it be a dirty or gummed up mechanism that needs 60+ yrs of grime cleaned out?

I guess it sure could be. In order to get to the gear box on this lathe, the front cover has to come off, along with the side cover.

Has anybody been inside one of these to know if there are any precautions, flying spring loaded mechanisms, etc....to be aware of in removing these covers. I have, both, the owners operator manual and the parts manual from Monarch. Neither discusses disassembly at all. Before I take it apart and attempt a repair/cleaning, I'd like to hear from someone who has been in there.

Back