Seriously thinking of buying buying a CK12 can anyone tell me the compond top to C/L
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seriously thinking of buying buying a CK12 can anyone tell me the compond top to C/L

I am seriously thinking of buying a Monarch CK12 . I have looked quite a bit on this forum but havent found the compound top surface to centerline distance. Can anyone tell me that measure ? If its great enough to put my larger toolpost on ( a CA ) I could occasionally use a 1.5" boring bar holder on with a piece of #3 Warner & Swasey tooling , which I have in abundance

Thanks
    David Lawrence

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lalatheman View Post
    I am seriously thinking of buying a Monarch CK12 . I have looked quite a bit on this forum but havent found the compound top surface to centerline distance. Can anyone tell me that measure ? If its great enough to put my larger toolpost on ( a CA ) I could occasionally use a 1.5" boring bar holder on with a piece of #3 Warner & Swasey tooling , which I have in abundance

Thanks
    David Lawrence
    Correct the nomenclature from CK12 to "12CK", search on PM, find it all covered.

Just one example- our gone but not forgotten Harry, still adding value from beyond the grave - note CXA size QCTP and other useful stuff in but one single post:

Monarch 12"CK???

You might especially like the part about doubling the top RPM!

Post Thanks / Like

It is 14 1/2 actual swing. On my similar 12 X 30 P&W, a CXA was perfect

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Harry Bloom has stated several places he preferred CXA size toolpost . In part one his 4 part series in "Home Shop Machinist magazine" 2004-2005 where he details his complete rebuild of a 12CK he tells the story of buying the machine
    "the seller closed the deal by tossing in an ALORIS BXA toolpost with several holders, which found a new home on my 10EE , an ALORIS CXA taking its place"
    In one of his several PM posts where he mentions his CXA on 12CK he says that a CA size "is a tad too big" I have done probably several hours searching trying to find the actual top of the compound to lathe C/L .... I am not looking for recommendations as to what size toolpost to use on a 12CK.
    That question has been answered many times on PM, everyone Harry Bloom , Johnoder and more agreeing on CXA . So far i have not found the actual measure , I would bet its on PM there , I am requesting a link to that info or someone who knows it please post.

And Thermite , thank you for drawing attention to proper nomenclature on the 12CK. A am putting it in my cell phone where it will remain close to my heart always ....LOL

David Lawrence

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lalatheman View Post
    And Thermite , thank you for drawing attention to proper nomenclature on the 12CK. A am putting it in my cell phone where it will remain close to my heart always ....LOL

David Lawrence
    ROFL!

F**k the cell phone. Got dead ones all over two continents.
    They don't LAST.

BUY THE MONARCH! Measure the height yerself! How hard is that?

Start scribing cell phone numbers into the casting of an access cover.

Be funny as Hell some new owner 100 years from now posts a thread on PM:

"Can anyone tell me what all these numbers on my new-to-me 12CK lathe mean."

And is told "Use the search function".

The answer you need is "Right here, on PM"... as usual...

Last edited by thermite; 04-13-2020 at 02:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can measure mine tomorrow if youd like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the Harry rebuilt 12CK. It works just fine with a CXA TP. I have an 1 1/2" boring bar turned down to 1" to fit a CXA holder that works but does not see much use. The lathe works just like a new one still.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WHHJR View Post
    I have the Harry rebuilt 12CK. It works just fine with a CXA TP. I have an 1 1/2" boring bar turned down to 1" to fit a CXA holder that works but does not see much use. The lathe works just like a new one still.
    Harry did good things for us all. Miss him.

AFAIK, a 10EE is a bit scarcer in height above the compound than a 12CK. Then again, compounds are removable and "back" TP's exist as well.

Even so, in a NON "QCTP" shop? Mine can mount and haul a full two inch boring bar.

It's one of the "reach around" rare, but damned handy, items when yah only have "N" inches, 'tween centers. Or so the OEM maker THOUGHT you had.

To wit; yah can fudge what serves as TS, but still only have the OEM length of bed and rack for traverse of the carriage, regardless.

Stiff enough bar, yah can literally "reach out and touch" a useful stretch beyond that, and at either end. Back side of a face plate or fixtures on it, "OD" not just "ID", f'rinstance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine has got a cxa some 30 years now works fine