What's new
What's new

Seriously thinking of buying buying a CK12 can anyone tell me the compond top to C/L

lalatheman

Hot Rolled
I am seriously thinking of buying a Monarch CK12 . I have looked quite a bit on this forum but havent found the compound top surface to centerline distance. Can anyone tell me that measure ? If its great enough to put my larger toolpost on ( a CA ) I could occasionally use a 1.5" boring bar holder on with a piece of #3 Warner & Swasey tooling , which I have in abundance

Thanks
David Lawrence

Harry Bloom has stated several places he preferred CXA size toolpost . In part one his 4 part series in "Home Shop Machinist magazine" 2004-2005 where he details his complete rebuild of a 12CK he tells the story of buying the machine
"the seller closed the deal by tossing in an ALORIS BXA toolpost with several holders, which found a new home on my 10EE , an ALORIS CXA taking its place"
In one of his several PM posts where he mentions his CXA on 12CK he says that a CA size "is a tad too big" I have done probably several hours searching trying to find the actual top of the compound to lathe C/L .... I am not looking for recommendations as to what size toolpost to use on a 12CK.
That question has been answered many times on PM, everyone Harry Bloom , Johnoder and more agreeing on CXA . So far i have not found the actual measure , I would bet its on PM there , I am requesting a link to that info or someone who knows it please post.

And Thermite , thank you for drawing attention to proper nomenclature on the 12CK. A am putting it in my cell phone where it will remain close to my heart always ....LOL

David Lawrence

I have the Harry rebuilt 12CK. It works just fine with a CXA TP. I have an 1 1/2" boring bar turned down to 1" to fit a CXA holder that works but does not see much use. The lathe works just like a new one still.

Back