What's new
What's new

Should my 10EE tailstock have a serial number?

paroikoi

Aluminum
Where can/should I be able to find a serial number on a square dial 10EE tailstock?

As mentioned in a couple other threads, I'm the proud new owner of a 1953 Navy MG 10EE. It came with two tailstocks. In order to offset the cost of the machine (aside from having no use for 2 tailstocks), I'm going to sell or trade the extra one. I may even have a deal in the works.

Anyhow, in fixing the electrical issue my 10EE had, I've discovered that lots of parts on the machine (such as all the removable panels) have the machine serial # stamped on them. I can't find any serial # on either tailstock. They're both filthy and have been repainted sloppily at least once.

If I know where to look for the serial #, I'll strip paint there if need be to see which one to keep.

Thanks in advance!

Perhaps better than a number is the condition....Evaluate which is better, which one fits better on the bed ways and is the correct height, points level and has a quill that
still fits the casting well and......

Cheers Ross

Where can/should I be able to find a serial number on a square dial 10EE tailstock?

... I've discovered that lots of parts on the machine (such as all the removable panels) have the machine serial # stamped on them. I can't find any serial # on either tailstock. ...
Most of my panels, etc., are stamped with the machine's serial number as well, but I couldn't find one on my tailstock either.

Cal

Thanks, guys. Another question, then. One of the tailstocks has a quill with the stop screws that give more support for MT2 tooling with tangs. Hopefully you know what I mean. The other doesn't have those screws or any place for them. It seems like the one without the screws is in better overall condition. Do those screws matter much? I'd imagine the extra support would be important if drilling from the TS, but I can always use my 12CK if I need to.

You also want to look at the height of the tailstock quill vs. the spindle. The two tailstocks are most likely not the same exact height and you may want to choose the one that best matches your spindle.

Cal

Back