Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sidney Lathes

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mllud22 View Post

I
    t does not appear that South bend bought Sidney. They may have bought rights to build the 1307. I copied this information from a law suit where a guy hurt his hand. Identical lathe ??
    It does appear to overlap.

Copied material
    Sidney Machine Tool Company in 1956. The original company no longer exists, having been purchased in 1961 by the Buhr Machine Tool Company (Buhr-Sidney), and then in 1963 by Summerfeld Machine Company (Summerfeld-Sidney). Summerfeld-Sidney stopped manufacturing lathes in early 1964. The product line was discontinued and no lathe bearing the Sidney name has since been manufactured. In 1967, McFadden Machine Company (McFadden-Sidney) purchased Sommerfeld-Sidney. In April 1974, 10 years after the original company ceased manufacturing lathes, the Sherbondys acquired some of the McFadden-Sidney assets from Paul and Goldie McFadden for $90,000. The assets purchased consisted of various drawings, specifications, parts and patterns necessary to produce parts for the old Sidney lathes. Excluded from the sale were machine tools, production equipment, and raw materials. The business name "Sidney machine Tool Company" was carried on as a proprietorship by the Sherbondys, who have operated the business solely [190 Cal. App. 3d 1550] as a proprietorship since then.
    I think that makes a lot of sense, that South Bend acquired the 1307 design from Sidney. It roughly fits the time frame in which Sidney stopped building lathes and South Bend started with the 1307.

Of course if someone comes up with a Sidney branded 1307 with a build date of, say, 1976, we'd have to re-think this.

David

2. Likes mllud22, Kjelle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by old_dave View Post
    I think that makes a lot of sense, that South Bend acquired the 1307 design from Sidney. It roughly fits the time frame in which Sidney stopped building lathes and South Bend started with the 1307.

Of course if someone comes up with a Sidney branded 1307 with a build date of, say, 1976, we'd have to re-think this.

David

Sidney may have had a surplus of 1307 castings and parts and let south Bend help close out some stock at the end.
    Just guessing.
    The timeline does fit the Sidney sale. The 1307 SB is more likely is the same as the Sidney than not. Changes are expensive. Cosmetic as far as name tags were changed of course.

There was a lot of machine tool makers that merged or sold out to competition. during that time period.
    It seems that it was the beginning of the downward slide into going out of business for some great machine tool makers.
    Sad story.
    Although too make it a better story we are still digging these old machines out of retirement and giving them a refreshment of maintenance and new life.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Old Dave
    In reading an old thread you were discussing this in 2007.
    I 'm not going to assume who made the SB model. It seems that SB did produce theirs.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I stumbled across these photos of the USS Iowa's machine shop: USS Iowa machine shop - photos - HomemadeTools.net

It includes a couple of photos of the Iowa's Sidney lathe.

Cal

6. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post