What's new
What's new

Spindle Speeder...

michael.kitko

Cast Iron
I currently have a Monarch 16CY x 54" that I use quite frequently. Unfortunately, it's max spindle speed is around 700, which works well for almost everything I do. I do find on occasion that I need a little more speed for some random 1/2" or smaller stuff that I do, but as much as I want to get another lathe, I couldn't if I wanted to because I'm about full in my shop, meaning it's a bit packed and I couldn't fit it if I wanted to. I digress...

I know they make them for milling machines and I know people have discussed them here, although rather lightly, but does anyone have a good picture of one or a design for one that they wouldn't mind sharing or any other thoughts, including telling me I'm crazy.

I found the following link, which discussed making one, but found little else.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/can-i-speed-up-leblond-regal-17-a-228886/

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

I think you can also investigate spinning the lathe faster, using different pulleys. There have been a few threads on this forum about this. For a 10EE its a no-brainer, all 10EE's came with the same spindle bearings and can be run at 4000 RPM with the right size pulleys, but I don't know what the max speed would be for a 16CY.

I know they make them for milling machines and I know people have discussed them here, although rather lightly, but does anyone have a good picture of one or a design for one that they wouldn't mind sharing or any other thoughts, including telling me I'm crazy.

Not really gonna work. A spindle speeder is designed to work with 1/8" tools, maybe 1/4" max. And they run up to 100,000 RPM.

I was honestly thinking of either using a planetary gear set mounted in a case with a D1-6 spindle adapter input and a D1-6 output. That case would be bored and set to the ways on the machine and would act as a removable attachment.

The max speed offered on my CY was 1000 RPM, and I'd like to keep it where it is now.

My apologies for using the name speeder, it's just that I only guessed at what they're called. I know speeders are used for tiny tools in big machines and have used them quite a bit.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

I'm interested in the same concept. Here's my thread from a little while ago:

Overdrive sub-spindle for manual lathe?

From my understanding, such a devise wouldn't/shouldn't take the place of a smaller lathe, but would just provide higher speeds for your existing big lathe. Kinda like an upgrade to provide more "modern" high speeds to an older lathe. In order for it to be rigid though, it would need to have it's own support casting and bolt to your bed ways, so it would have to be made specifically to fit your lathes bed and swing and be able to compensate for any bed wear in front of your spindle. I would even see it as a temporary accessory to be removed any time higher speeds are not needed. You would also have to consider it's gear ratio for any feeds or screw pitch's coming out of your gear train.

When I run out of projects (ha!), I think it would be a fun project to make one out of some plate steel.

Back